Chapter 22

Considering the recent events, you found yourself unable to recall the current day

     Considering the recent events, you found yourself unable to recall the current day. Hoping it was the week's end, your sole desire was to return home, seek solace in sleep, and perhaps awaken from this relentless nightmare.
     The burden of anxiety weighed heavily upon you, surpassing all previously known limits. It was unimaginable that so much could transpire within a single week.

     You made a conscious effort to take deep breaths, a practice that required considerable time and effort to quiet your thoughts about Saki. Though the ache of missing her persisted, you acknowledged that dwelling on her constantly served no purpose.
     Redirecting your focus from her, you were determined not to let it detract from your academic pursuits, for which you had diligently worked to gain admission into the institution.

     After lying in bed for roughly ten minutes, the realization dawned that you still had to prepare for school. Glancing at your phone, you noted it was Thursday, eliciting a heavy sigh.
     The fervent wish for it to be Friday lingered heavily within you. While acknowledging the necessity for the school to maintain its reputation, the heightened state of alert among the students was palpable.

     You recalled the chilling conversation between the two students at Saki's memorial: "Does that mean the killer is in school with us right now?!" The weight of those words echoed in your mind, reminding you of a detail you had momentarily forgotten.
     The decision by the police to publicize Saki's case struck you as ill-advised. It seemed unreasonable to involve the entire school community in such a sensitive matter. Unsurprisingly, both students and parents alike were discontent with this development.

     Students were instructed to travel to and from school in groups as a precautionary measure. Fortunately, you already walked alongside Osano. Despite his carefree demeanor, you couldn't help but wonder if he was secretly anxious about the recent events.
     His attempt to portray toughness in your presence was endearing, a subtle gesture that didn't go unnoticed.

Your phone chimed with a message from Aso, indicating he was already outside waiting for you. A soft giggle escaped your lips as you imagined Osano's likely displeasure at the intrusion into your usual routine.
Typically, it was just the two of you, occasionally joined by Rai, making the walk to school together.

You could almost picture Osano's silent glare directed at Aso at that moment. The thought spurred you to hasten your departure, eager not to keep them waiting any longer.
     As you descended the stairs to the kitchen to fetch your food, you were greeted by the unexpected sight of your brother Kota seated at the table in his pajamas, enjoying a plate of bacon. His presence, a departure from his usual early departure for college classes, brought a smile to your face.

     It was evident that both he and your mom wanted to keep a watchful eye on you. At that moment, it dawned on you that this arrangement could provide the solution you had been seeking.
     "Good morning, Kota-nii!" you greeted warmly, wrapping your arms around him from behind. "Hey," he replied casually, taking a sip of his coffee. "Your orange-haired friend is waiting for you," he remarked with a hint of sarcasm, rolling his eyes.