please (j.h)

You woke up to the feeling of Jack stirring in discomfort. For the past couple months, he had been complaining about pain in his shoulder that just wouldn't go away.

As many times as you told him to take the rest of the season off, he refused, claiming he was fine.

He clearly wasn't fine.

Gently, you kicked his shin with your heel, waking him up.

"Baby, what the hell?" He mumbled.

You kept your eyes closed, "You keep moving. I can't sleep."

His arm wrapped around your waist, trying to pull you closer. You heard him wince and felt him loosen his grip.

"Sorry. Do you want me to go to sleep in the other room?"

"I want you to take care of your damn shoulder."

He sighed, "I'm fine."

It was late and you didn't feel like arguing, so you grabbed your phone and stood up. Jack sat up in confusion, calling after you but you were already walking across the apartment to the guest room.

You shut the door a little harsher than intended, causing Jack to slam his door as well. The tiredness and frustration flooded your head, small tears falling out of your eyes.

Jack was such an important person in your life. Why couldn't he take care of himself like he was?

~~~

Your eyes fluttered open, small rays of sunshine peeping through the blinds. You sat up, wiping away the dampness left on your face from last night. You hated going to sleep angry and you knew Jack did as well.

As you stood up and walked over to the door, you heard something fall and shatter in the kitchen. It made you jump, but the sound of Jack groaning in pain shot you right awake.

When you opened the door, you rushed to the kitchen right away. Jack was leaning over the counter, his hand resting on his shoulder.

"Are you okay? What happened?" You asked, rushing over to him.

He didn't answer, he just leaned his head against you, small winces leaving his lips. You held him gently, not wanting to hurt him more.

Your eyes flickered towards the floor, noticing glass scattered all over. You pulled Jack away from that area, guiding him to sit at the table.

"Are you okay?" You asked again.

"The cup fell out of the cupboard. I tried to catch it but-" He cut himself off with a groan of pain.

You let out a sigh, "Jack... please."

He looked up at you, seeing the worry on your face. You knew he didn't want to get the help he needed, especially when there were only a handful of games left in the season. But if he's learned anything, it's that he's injury prone. He knew he needed to take care of this now before it got worse.

"Okay." He nodded, standing up to look for his phone.

You stayed seated at the table as he walked over, showing you that he was calling his parents.

"Jack? Everything okay?"

~~~

That was probably the hardest phone call he's ever had to make, you knew that.

After he got off the phone with his parents they all hopped on a call with his manager, discussing what he would need to go through and how it would impact the team.

The second his surgery was scheduled and the call was over, his head fell onto the table. You rubbed his back, trying to provide some sort of comfort. A few minutes passed before he picked up his head and looked at you.

"You gonna say I told you so?" He smirked.

A small laugh escaped your lips, "No. I'm just glad you're finally taking care of yourself."

He rolled his eyes as he leaned in closer to you, looking at your lips as a smile formed on your face, a sight he loved more than he cared to admit. You closed the space between the two of you, a gentle hand raising to cup his face.

He pulled away, "Surgery's in Colorado. You comin' with?"

"Always."

I feel so bad for Jack, especially after the season the devs had, but im glad his surgery went well

hope you enjoyed this one!!

<3, J