gold and sold (l.h)

My ice skating competition was coming up soon, and my skating partner, Brady, was getting nervous.

"What if we mess up? I don't wanna ruin our chances for the Olympics!" he exclaimed, running his hands through his hair.

I put my hand on his back, "Don't worry, we'll be fine! That's why we're here practicing at 5 in the morning!"

This seemed to calm him down. After a few deep breaths, he gave me a thumbs up. I skated over to the bench and started the music.

We had this routine planned specifically for this competition. It was guaranteed to get us qualified for the Olympics. If everything went right that is.

As soon as we started skating to the music, we heard someone yell.

"Hey! We rented this rink out for our morning practice!" an old-ish man yelled.

I skated over to our speaker, pausing it. "Uhm. I think you're mistaken sir. We rented it out for this morning. They don't let anyone else in if it's rented."

The man spoke again, "Well then why the hell did they let us in?"

Looking behind him, I saw a group of guys, all varying in ages. Some were wearing red jerseys, and some were wearing white. I looked closer to see the words, "New Jersey Devils" on the front of them.

I looked at the man politely, "I'm not sure. We can go talk to the staff up front. I'm sure it's some sort of honest mistake."

"Are you calling me stupid young lady? I swear-"

He got cut off by one of his players, "Lindy! It's not her fault. Just go with her to talk to the workers."

The old guy, Lindy, turned around to face the guy who spoke up. "Well why don't you go since you love talking, Hughes?"

The guy looked at me, tilting his head signaling that he wanted me to follow him. I skated towards my bag, putting sleeves on my blades.

We walked over to the front to find a man, no older than 19, sitting on his phone.

"Excuse me? I think there's been a mistake. Me and my partner rented out the rink for this morning but-" I looked over at the tall brunette, silently asking him to finish my sentence.

"But my coach is saying we rented it out for today. Could you tell us what happened?"

The man whose name tag read 'Conner' looked at us, then at his computer. He typed something in before he spoke.

"Oh yeah. There's been a mistake in the system. It let you both book, which shouldn't happen."

The brunette and I gave each other a side-eye, "So... Can you do anything about it?"

He shrugged, "I can reschedule one of you for a later time. But unless you want to share the rink there's not much I can do."

"Okay. So reschedule her."

My eyes widened, "No way! We were here first! If anything, he should reschedule you!"

He scoffed, "You guys were just skating for fun. No way that's more important than my team's practice."

"Skating for fun? We're practicing for our competition which could get us to the Olympics, thank you very much."

The audacity of this guy. Did he seriously think he was more important?

After a bit of back and forth banter, Conner shut us both up.

"Alright. Either you split the rink, or you both leave."