proposal (j.h)

It had been 3 years since I had met Jack at his game. And it had been 3 years since he got drunk and said he wanted to marry me.

These past years with him have been the best years of my life. He was exactly what I wanted.

"Babe! Are you home?" He yelled as he entered the house.

I could hear the door shut from upstairs, "Yeah! In our room!"

He walked in and threw himself on top of me. He was sweaty and kinda smelly seeing that he had just gotten home from his game. I quickly inched away from him, gently pushing him onto the floor.

Landing on the ground with a thud, a light groan escaping his lips.

"Ow." He said, standing up.

"Sorry. You're all sticky." I replied, shutting my phone off.

He tilted his head, "Since when do you care about that? Last night you were literally begging me to-"

I cut him off, "Shut up!"

This made him laugh. "Okay! Sorry."

I pointed at the bathroom, silently telling him to take a shower. He rolled his eyes and turned around, taking his towel with him.

When the water started running, I decided to head down to the kitchen to make some late dinner. I decided on chicken and rice because it was easy and wouldn't take long.

As soon as I started cooking the chicken, Jack's footsteps became audible. I turned around to see him standing behind me, wearing nothing but his boxers.

I laughed and quickly turned back around, "Woah! Cover up."

He scoffed, "Nothing you haven't seen before. What are you making?"

"Chicken and rice. Did you want some?"

His arms wrapped around me from behind, "Yeah, smells good."

I relaxed in his touch, "How was the game?"

"Good. We won by 3. In fact, we got the weekend off."

My head perked up at this. Days off were rare for them, especially when they had 3 games in the same week.

I turned around to face him, "Oh? What do you plan on doing?"

His eyes moved from my eyes to my lips, then back to my eyes, "Actually, I was thinking we could go out to dinner?"

My eyebrows raised, sending the wrong signal. I noticed his face fall.

"I- I mean we don't have to! We can do whatever you want." He stuttered.

I shook my head rapidly, "No, no! That's not what I meant! We just haven't gone out in so long. I was just shocked."

My hands rubbed up and down his arms, "I would love to go out with you."

A smile and a look of relief appeared on his face, "Okay. I'll go make the reservations right now."

He left the kitchen and went to sit down on the couch, his fingers audibly typing on his screen.

~~~

I finished up the food, serving it in a bowl and walking over to him.

As soon as I entered the living room, he looked at me with a panicked expression and quickly turned off his phone.

My eyebrows knitted together, "Everything okay?"

"Huh? Yeah. I'm all good." He replied, messing with his hair. "Looks good. Thanks babe."