18. Romans

House of Memories - Panic! at the Disco

I've been rotting away in this camp for six months now.

Now I know what you're probably thinking. 'Krys! I thought you were enemies with camp half-blood!' and to that I answer, I am. I also happen to be enemies with this one too, although Camp Jupiter doesn't get to know that.

Lemme rewind a bit. As you know, back in December, Luke fell off a cliff. Well, it was actually a bit more complicated than that, but that was kinda the highlight for obvious reasons. Somehow he survived, though I still don't know how, and he managed to give me a new mission within a week (talk about overworking your employees). So, in short, I don't get paid enough for this shit (probably because I don't get paid anything).

About eight months ago, I was given a mission. I, the second Lieutenant of Kronos' forces, got to be a spy at Camp Jupiter. Apparently it was because I was really good with the Roman names of the gods, my ability to speak decent Latin (self taught), and the fact that he couldn't afford for any spies to be caught.

The best part is, I got to be enlisted in the roman military (can you feel the sarcasm from here?). I wanted to bring Xavier with me, but he questions everything and is about as subtle as one of the war elephants.

So now I'm stuck at the Roman camp, bearing two more scars for my failed missions on my left arm (bringing the total to three), lying to everyone here, and just overall being miserable.

I think that just about sums it up. Now where in the Hades- sorry, where in the Orcus is my remote... There it is! And... play.

- Time skip brought to you by Krys stealing the author's remote -

"Lights out!" my centurion, Leila, yelled. The lights went out in the 4th cohort barracks, and I laid in my bunk, awake. If I was on the Andromeda right now, I'd get up and walk around, maybe do some staff or sword training for a little bit of thinking time, but now, all I had was the bottom of the bunk on top of me to stare at.

I'd be dead if I snuck out of the 4th cohort barracks now. Sneaking out past curfew was frowned upon, and I was already only Probatio just because I hadn't been in the legion for a year yet. I had arrived here 4 months ago, and I had only been accepted into the 4th on the sheer, dumb luck that my mother had been the last to attend camp in a long line of Roman legacies of Phoebe, the titan-goddess of Intellect, clear-sight, and prophecy, which explains why I always heard the prophecies from the oracle at camp.

Actually, that was part of why I was sneaking out. I had to contact Luke and let him know about the prophecy I had heard while digging a trench for the war games earlier today. But, in order to do that, I had to somehow sneak out of the barracks first. I waited until everyone in the barrack was quiet, it was probably about 2am. Of course, some people would be awake, and there were the border guards, but I had a trick for that.

For months, I'd been working to perfect bending light to my advantage. I'd mostly focused on the fire aspect of my powers in the past, until I'd discovered a little ability of mine. So, for the last 5 months, I'd been teaching myself how to turn invisible. The downsides to this were, that I didn't have enough focus yet to do it yet for moving objects, if that was even within my ability, and being invisible didn't prevent people from hearing me. Also, I wasn't perfect, so sometimes I slipped up and there was a little distortion in the air. Let's hope tonight wasn't one of those times.

I sat up, waiting for a minute longer to see if anyone would stir. Nobody looked like they had woken up, so I whispered the spell to silence my footsteps that I had learned from Circe's grimoire almost a year ago now. I got up, grabbing the little pot I had stored under my pillow specifically for this, and slipped out of the barracks.