Chapter 30- The Earth King (part 1)

The gang rested on a small island somewhere in the middle of the vast Lake Laogai. Aang was having an emotional moment as he hugged Appa affectionately, and I meditated by the water's edge nearby. Next to me I sensed Katara, Toph and Sokka who talked amongst themselves.

"Look, we escaped from the Dai Li, we got Appa back," Sokka began. "I'm telling you, we should go to the Earth King now and tell him our plan. We're on a roll,"

"One good hour after weeks of trouble isn't much of a roll," Katara hit back.

"We can build on it," Sokka explained. "If we want to invade the fire nation when the eclipse happens, we need the Earth King's support,"

"What makes you think we'll get it?" Toph added to the debate that was occurring behind me. "I don't know if you've noticed, but things don't usually go that smoothly for our little gang,"

"I know, but I've got a good feeling about this," Sokka positively stated. "This time will be different,"

"Sokka, Long Feng is in control of the city," Katara reasoned. "His conspiracy with the Dai Li is too powerful. I think we should just keep flying and leave this horrible place behind us,"

"I'm with Sweetness," Toph agreed. "I've seen enough of Ba Sing Se. And I can't even see!"

"But now that we have Appa back, there's nothing stopping us from telling the Earth King the truth," Aang chimed in as he entered the conversation. "About the conspiracy and the war,"

"See, Aang's with me," I heard Sokka say. "I guess it's a tie vote. We need (Y/N) to decide it,". Upon hearing my name, I opened my eyes. I was slightly conflicted on the matter; on one hand I've had enough of Ba Sing Se and I do want to leave, but it is also crucial that the Earth King learns about the solar eclipse.

"We came here originally so we could get the Earth King's support," I shared my view. "We should probably tell him about the eclipse," I concluded, and Sokka cheered triumphantly after having won the debate, throwing an arm around my shoulder as if I had just voted him to become chief of the Southern Water Tribe.

"Well, I guess if the Earth King knew the truth, things could change," Katara optimistically came on board with the plan.

"I don't trust the new positive Sokka," Toph eyed him suspiciously. "Long Feng brainwashed you, didn't he?!" she yelled. As a joke, and because I was still filled with adrenaline and excitement after our action-packed victory, I threw myself at Sokka, tackling him to the ground. He gave a high pitched scream as I threw his ass to the ground with ease. He jokingly fought back, causing us to roll along on the hard earth beneath us, before he pushed me to one side with a laugh. Due to the shove, I ended up staring off onto Lake Laogai, and I couldn't help but notice three small ships sailing across the body of water. I got up off the ground with a more serious demeanour and pointed them out to the rest of the group.

"That's probably the Dai Li searching for us, so?" Sokka asked.

"Let's fly," Katara agreed.

Only a few minutes later we were flying across the sky on the bare back of Appa, rapidly approaching the huge palace in the distance. The structure was enormous, and made up a decent chunk of the entire upper ring.

"There it is. That whole thing is the palace," Sokka instructed us. "The Earth King's chamber should be in the centre,"

"We have to be careful," Katara cautioned. "Long Feng's probably warned the king that we're coming,"

"Why would you assume that?" Sokka questioned his sister. "If you ask me, I think we're just going to sail right-," he was suddenly cut off with a scream as a giant boulder of earth whizzed past Appa, who was only just able to veer out of its way.