Chapter 28- Lake Laogai (part 1)

When I woke up the following morning, it was with a warm feeling throughout my body. I had been on my first ever date, and not screwed it up! With last night still in my memory, I got myself ready for the ahead. The plan was to spend the day looking for Appa, just like we had come to Ba Sing Se for in the first place.

I left my bedroom, and immediately almost slipped over on a piece of paper that lay on the wooden tiles of the floor. There were many sheets of paper scattered all over the floor, and I picked one up and observed what was on it. Scribbled on all the papers were childlike drawings of... something. Clearly whoever had drawn on the paper was not an experienced artist. With one of the sheets still in my hand, I walked into the main room of our house, where Sokka and Katara sat around a small table playing a card game, while Toph lay around nearby. I noted that there was no sign of Aang.

"Morning, guys," I greeted them cheerfully.

"More like afternoon," Toph shouted over to me, even though the clock nearby clearly stated that it was still morning. 'I don't sleep that much, do I?' I thought to myself. I must still be catching up on sleep from waking up early every day to train in the Northern Water Tribe.

"What's with all the paper?" I asked, holding up the sheet that I had almost lost my footing on a moment ago.

"They're Sokka's attempts at drawing Appa," Katara scoffed as she looked at the poster that I held out. Now it made sense. Sokka was evidently trying to make some missing posters in hope that we would receive some information on Appa's whereabouts, although it seemed that Sokka's artistic skills were questionable.

"I'm pretty sure Appa's arrow is on his head, not on his ass," I told Sokka as I looked at the paper I held, on which Appa's airbending symbol arrow appeared to be on his rump rather than his head.

"That is his head!" Sokka yelled in retaliation as he stood up and snatched the poster out of my hand, making me chuckle. "I tried, okay?"

"It's a... valiant first effort," I said, suddenly feeling bad for bullying his drawings. This seemed to satisfy Sokka.

"Well, we found a printer so we didn't need to use Sokka's art," Katara explained. "Aang's spreading the posters throughout the city as we speak,". So, with that, I left the siblings to focus on their card game while I made myself some much needed breakfast. By the time I finished my food and re-entered the main room of the house, I saw Aang swing open the front door with his glider in hand.

"I just finished dropping all the leaflets," he stated optimistically as he leant his airbending staff against the door. "Has anyone come in with news about Appa?"

"It's only been a day, just be patient," Katara brushed him off as she focussed on her next move in the card game. Aang went to sit down on a cushion at their table, but there was a knock at the door as soon as he sat.

"Wow, you're right! Patience really pays off!" Aang exclaimed as he immediately sprang up and ran towards the door while I laughed at the young boy's naivety. Aang opened the big wooden door to whoever was knocking. "Joo Dee?" he asked, sounding rather confused. The name immediately caught my attention, and I paced over towards the door. Standing in the doorway, with the beautiful sunny day behind her in the background, was Joo Dee. But not the imposter Joo Dee that she had been replaced with a few days ago. It was the original Joo Dee. I wasn't pleased to see her irritatingly large smile back on her face, but I was mostly confused as to what the hell had happened to her before.

"Hello, Aang and (Y/N) and Katara and Sokka and Toph," she greeted us in an almost mechanical way as she stepped into our house, despite the fact that none of us had invited her in.