20. Fabric bag party

It was evening, and after a relaxing bath, I felt quite comfortable.

Laszlo came home, brimming with energy and joy. "That's how it's been all day," Laurin sighed as he told me about their afternoon at his mother's garden. They had been invited for coffee and cake. Chocolate crumbs still clung to Laszlo's lips—a clear sign that he had enjoyed it. "Yes, he's totally excited about the trip," Laurin noted. "I think you'll have fun trying to get him to sleep tomorrow." I smiled and replied, "Let that be my worry."

I had used the afternoon to start packing so that we could sleep in the next day, maybe even take a little nap, and then leave relaxed. While Laurin and Laszlo were still out, I had already packed various items, including food and toiletries, into the car. My goal was to minimize the morning stress as much as possible.

When Laurin finally said goodbye, he hugged Laszlo tightly and joked, "Take good care of yourself and watch out for trolls." Laszlo then laughed cheerfully. Laurin turned to me and handed me an envelope. "Here, this is from Käthe and me," he explained, always referring to his mother by her first name. He said goodbye.

Surprised, I thanked him and then looked inside the envelope: it contained 200 euros. I sighed quietly, grateful for the gesture and considered giving the money to Laszlo so they could buy something nice on the road. Laurin had never contributed before; he was very frugal.

Many outings, he said, were too expensive, and you could have fun without them. He was right; Laszlo and I had many little excursions into the woods and fields, without Laurin, who never had time.

I let water into the bathtub and also prepared a lavender bubble bath for Laszlo. It was the perfect end to the day and a wonderful way to get him excited for the upcoming adventure. Afterward, we ate.

Together, we prepared a homemade pizza with dough from the supermarket's refrigerated section, one of our favorite activities. The pizza smelled wonderful in our kitchen, and it was a cozy, relaxed evening, just right before our adventure.

While we enjoyed our pizza, I noticed that my roommate was not yet home. She probably had other plans for the evening. It was nice to share this moment just with Laszlo, a little break in our otherwise hectic daily life.

Later, as we snuggled up on the high plain and watched the stars above us, Laszlo, driven by his insatiable curiosity, began to ask questions about his upcoming vacation. "Mama, are there as many stars in the sky in Denmark? And what about Norway?" His questions filled the cool evening air as we lay close together under the twinkling sky.

With a gentle voice intended to dispel any of his worries, I began to explain: "In Denmark, my dear, the nights in August are filled with a very special light. The days stay light longer, and the evenings are mild and inviting. We can look forward to warm days that aren't too hot, perfect for searching for shells on the beach and running barefoot in the sand."

His eyes lit up at the thought of our time together in the holiday home right on the beach before he would continue his journey to Norway with Aunt Merle and Uncle Gregor. "And Mama, when I'm in Norway, do you think I can meet pirates and find a treasure?" His voice was full of excitement and hope.

I couldn't help but smile, caught up in his imagination. "There might not be real pirates there, my little one. But Norway is a country full of treasures. The deep fjords, the high mountains, and the vast forests are full of secrets and adventures. Maybe you'll find your own treasure, a special shell or a beautiful stone to bring home."