49

irl

matt packs everything into the basket and gets in his car, he sets it in the passenger's seat while he drives to the hospital after school.

he arrives and pays for parking, walking inside and checking in at the front desk for visitors.

the receptionist lets him go upstairs and he gets in the elevator to go up to the floor kaia is on carrying the basket with him.

once on the floor, he walks down the hallway and approaches her room. he knocks on the door and peaks his head around the corner.

the doctor was just taking the tape off of her nose when she saw matt waiting at the door.

"i'll leave you two here, just be gentle and try not to hit your nose with your hand." the doctor says, leaving the room.

"hey, kai. how you feeling?" he smiles and pulls up a chair next to her bed.

"pretty good. he said i'm healing pretty quickly. my nose is still sore but it's ready to take the tape off." she smiles, sitting up straighter to talk to him.

"that's good. i'm glad you're doing well." he looks at her lovingly.

he stands up a bit to give her a quick kiss, sitting back down and pulling the basket out from behind his back.

"matt. what is this? you didn't have to buy me things." she sighs, taking the basket from him.

"i know, i just feel awful about everything and i can't help but feel like it's my fault, so i just wanted to get you a few things.

"well, thank you. but it isn't your fault, don't beat yourself up." she shakes her head.

she looks through the basket and sets her flowers on the table next to the bed. she smiles at all the candies and  stufded animals but her face drops when she sees the phone hidden in the bottom.

"matthew bernard." she slaps a hand to her mouth in shock.

"what? you needed a new one, don't you?" he smiles, proud of himself.

"yeah, but i can't take this! go return it, this was too expensive." she hands the box back to him.

"it would be a waste if you didn't take it. plus, we've had a really good few months with youtube, this won't affect me at all and i love you, just take it." he hands it back to her.

"i could've got one myself, i just haven't had the chance, this is too much." she shakes her head repeatedly and tries to give it back, but he refuses.

"kai. just take it. you need one, this will make me feel better about the whole thing." he insists.

she sighs and holds her arms out for a hug, he sits on the edge of the bed with her and gives her a big massive bear hug.

"i love you so much, matt." she says against his shoulder, not letting go of the hug.

"i love you more." he smiles and squeezes her extra tight.

they break the hug and he lays next to her, an arm around her shoulder as she opens the box and begins setting up the phone.

"this takes so long." she complains while the phone loading screen is finishing the set up.