chapter 18 ~ Welcome to Volterra

Jane eyed her up and down. "You're filthy." A thick black coat was thrown her way, "Here, wear this." When Dani pulled it on, she only now realized that it was Jane's coat; smelling like currant and mint. The brunette wrinkled her nose, it was way too pungent for her liking. The way it penetrated her senses gave her a feeling of getting dizzy. She had the strong urge to gag and even felt phantomal bile rise up her throat. If the blonde saw her disgusted face, she didn't comment on it and she walked away.

The Brute - Dani named Felix in her head - seized her by the arm and dragged her behind Jane. His grip was like snakes curling around their victims, so hard a crack was forming on her skin; to get back to the involuntary bath she gave him, no doubt. She fought every instinct in her to not just do that again with how carelessly he manhandled her. As if she would run away and get herself deeper into the shit-show she already was in. Getting Tanya into more trouble. Getting her killed.

Dani reacted irrational and the more time she had to think about it, the more like an idiot she felt. The emotional world of a newborn sucked, that's what everyone told her, but she really only now realized how much it indeed did. If she could go back in time, she would give everything to do that. She wouldn't have run away from Kate and Irina and face her shame and scolding and whatever punishment they'd given her. Now however, she could only get dragged along by The Brute.

A Cadillac One (what are they? the presidents of vampires?) was parked at the side of the road and Dani wished for them to speed up a little more, so The Brute would finally let go of her. The door opened and Alec stepped out, not even gracing her with a glance; instead he held it open for his sister, who flawlessy stepped into the backseat, then he followed her. 

The Brute finally let go of her, only to shove her into the back as well and only then took his place behind the wheel. The crack could at last fuse together while no longer under a death grip. Dani sat across from the twins, her dark orange eyes flitting from one figure to the other. She heard a lot about them, saw them as they gave the Denali's a visit and just now felt how powerful Jane was. It was creepy how both of their faces where soft and childlike, angelic even, but behind that facade was a cruelness unfathomable to Dani's young mind.

When the car engine sprang to life, the motor's vibrations rang through her body and the brunette frowned irritated. It was her first car ride post-change and she already hated it. Every small vibration was like a an annoying tic-tac of an analog clock in the dead of the night. And even the observation of the scenery that rushed passed them, gave Dani no distraction. She would never step inside a car again, she decided. 

After a few minutes the silence paired with the motor got to her and she started to speak. "Can I at least call-- arrggh!" Collapsing on the seat with a scream while Jane stared her down and Alec narrowed his eyes. This witch bitch used her powers on her again without any provocation! She just wanted to ask to call her Coven to let them know. To let Tanya know. When the pain wore off, Dani gulped down lungfuls of air she didn't need and straightened inside her seat again. 

"Here are the rules." Crimson eyes bored into her. "You are merely a pet with no rights. If I or my brother want to kill you, we'll kill you and then we'll kill your mate." Dani's gaze hardened and she looked at them with hatred. "You will only speak when you're spoken to. Is that clear?" 'Yes.' Came through gritted teeth and she continued with a belittling voice. "See? I knew you were not entirely dimwitted."

The rest of the ride was silent and Dani balled her hands to hold herself back from tearing them apart. She could overwhelm them, she thought. First, knock The Witch Bitch out, then her brother and deal with The Brute after. He was strong but Dani was faster and she could always hold him at arm's length, nullifying his strength therefore. Just one strong push into the twins directions, then tear them limb from limb. But what was Alec's gift? An unknown variable for Dani to consider and it could very well mean her downfall. No, not only hers but Tanya's as well. If it was only her own hide on the line, she would've take the chance and welcomed death if she failed. Her mate in mind made her think about everything that could go wrong, so she gulped down her pride and would play the well trained pet for as long as needed.