chapter 12 ~ surprise visit and more surprises

Tanya held Dani until the sun went down and up again. The sobs and whimpers long quieted down and silence enveloped them. Tanya knew that the first kill was special in a morbid way. A vampire would never forget how it felt like to sink their teeth into warm flesh and how the first mouthful of hot red blood tasted. How the person tensed and jerked against a strong grip and what their dead eyes looked like.

When Tanya killed for the first time, Sasha was there and helped her. Told her it was okay and not fight against her nature. She'd felt regret to a degree, but after the encouraging words of her mother, the deaths didn't weight on her that heavily. Dani on the other hand had no one, when she killed these humans. She was alone and confused, driven by hunger and instinct. 

After the hunger was sated and her instincts calmed down, the full consciousness of what she'd done came crashing into her. Tanya wasn't there, but she's here now and would make sure, that Dani wouldn't break under this overwhelming guilt.

"How are you feeling?" Tanya kissed the crown of her head. They both laid on their sides, with Dani's face pressed into Tanya's neck. Secured and safe from the rest of the world, comforted and loved.

"Better." The muffled answer sounded tired. Dani shifted back to look into amber eyes. "Thank you, for listening and comforting me."

"Of course, darling." Tanya said softly with a serious twinge in her tone. "I'm here for you, always." 

Her mate leaned forward, kissing her in a show of gratitude and Tanya kissed back to prove the truthfulness of her words. Lips brushed softly against one another and when they broke apart, Tanya rested her forehead against Dani's. Amber looked into crimson and seeing all the emotions inside them. Vulnerability. Sorrow. Trust. Love.

"I don't want to burst your bubble, but you two should come down here at once." Kate's voice made them break their gazes. Tanya furrowed her brows and when she scented the air, she could smell three foreign smells. She knew these smells, had smelled them at one point in her life. The smell of pain. 

Tanya motioned for her mate to follow her downstairs. When they reached the bottom and stepped into the living room, the door stood open and Carmen and Eleazar were already outside. 

"We have visitors." Kate said gravely and went out the door, to join the others. 

The scents got stronger and Tanya recognized them now. They were not good news and she tensed. Dani took her hand and interlaced their fingers, in a show of comfort.

When they stepped out together, they were met by the sight of three black hooded figures. Volturi. 

"She's here." Demetri pulled his hood down and the twins soon followed. Jane's sadistic gaze landed immediately on Dani and Tanya stepped slightly forward to shield her.

"I see you've taken the newborn in. Is she part of your coven now?" Her melodic voice made Tanya's hackles rise. Jane stood in the middle, with her brother to her left and Demetri to her right. Alec grinned in amusement and Demetri was indifferent as ever.

The strawberry-blonde raised her chin, she wouldn't show them any weakness. "Yes, she is a full member of the Denali Coven."

Jane's crimson eyes wandered over the entire coven, sizing them up and to intimidate them at the same time. They landed back on Tanya and then dropped to the blonde's hand, which was still holding Dani's. "Your mate caused quite the ruckus." 

Tanya tensed further and gripped Dani's hand tighter, when Jane's gaze landed on the brunette. "We've dealt with your sire, rest assured." Jane clucked her tongue in a chastising way. "Drawing attention to our kind like that, will have consequences next time. Tanya Denali claimed you as a member of her coven and as the coven leader, bears therefore full responsible for you."