Chapter Five: Hidden

Esvelie clenches her jaw and waits for the impact of the bolt, but nothing happens. Instead, she spares a glance and sees her captor lowering his weapon, a furious sigh moistening the greasy bit of beard connecting to the base of his lower lip.

Delayed shudders rattle Esvelie's bones as she lets out a ragged gasp, nearly passing out from the sudden shift in her body's "fight or flight" signals. A pair of strong arms swiftly drag her backward, onto her feet, and into a nearly suffocating embrace. Immediately realizing it's Engom, she can only lean against his chest in shocked silence, wondering why she's still alive. "Oh, my dear Esvelie." He whispers against the top of her head, his voice thick with emotion and relief.

Esvelie's next several breaths are shallow and shaky, her chest still tight and sore from the mix of panic and abuse. "W-what?" Esvelie exhales.

The voice that yelled "Stop!" before her assumed demise suddenly reappears, its commanding presence cutting through the air. "Are they looters? What have they stolen?"

Esvelie imperceptibly peers in the direction of the voice, the movement solely occurring from the slightest shift of her eyes. The only thing keeping her upright is Engom's continuous hold, as her legs haven't yet regained the strength to support her weight. Shock and bewilderment continue to pulse through her veins like jagged ice, numbing her limbs and biting her lungs. Within her line of sight stands a tall, muscular Eleaven woman, the tone of her honey-bronze skin nearly matching the shade of her long and sleekly braided hair. 

Eyes radiating unyielding authority, she pierces Esvelie's assailant with a threatening and livid gaze. An unruly raven perches upon her extended wrist, sporadically jerking its head between each Eleaf. "I received your letter from Raura." She briefly motions her head toward the large bird, "Your warning suggested the presence of armed looters and bandits. However, I see neither. I hardly see a threat at all." Her eyes briefly meet Esvelie's before cutting back to scrutinize the aggressor. "Yet you raised your weapon with the intent of slaughter."

The merciless archer seethes in indignation, raging at the prospect of being interrupted just before lavishing in his deepest, darkest indulgences: violence, torment, and bloodshed. His fingers twitch against the grooves of his lowered weapon, the bolt sinisterly twirling in his other hand. "I was only getting a rise out of them. A fright never harmed anyone." The stranger morbidly winks at Engom.

"Mucrum, your services are no longer required. You are dismissed and may return to your post." The woman's voice is brittle with discontentment.

"Aye, ma'am." Mucrum snarls, revealing everything left of his jagged teeth once more before stalking away. He bears a slight limp from his right hip.

Esvelie releases another unsteady breath against Engom, unconsciously shifting closer to the safety of his sturdy build. Ryvia remains deathly silent, her small knife snatched tightly against her chest. Esvelie's eyes widen remembering the whereabouts of her own knife and she tries to shift her head in its direction.

"I'm unarmed," Esvelie whispers desperately to Engom. He runs a reassuring hand along the back of her head and tilts his chin forward, whispering just above her ear, "I already took care of it. No, you aren't. There's nothing to fret over, alright?"

Esvelie inhales shakily and nods, letting her eyes rest closed for a moment before the Eleaven woman speaks once more. "I apologize for any inconvenience on behalf of Kalveyr's guard. I am Ahriyel Steelmist. As you've probably noticed, Kalveyr survives no more. Thus, we have moved our civilization elsewhere."

Engom bows his head respectfully. "Ma'am, we are not here for the reasons you may assume."

Ahriyel cuts him off with a quick raise of her palm. "You may call me Ahriyel."