eleven

Shivaay swallowed, as he stared at the mirror in the bathroom, his hairs wet and hanging over his eyes, having freshly showered a few minutes ago. A sigh escaped his lips, as he gripped the marble counter of the sink tightly. Exhaling slowly, he leaned back, forcing the mask of indifference and aloofness—— despite feeling like a nervous wreck beyond comprehension.

He stepped out through the doors, startling as he saw Khanna standing there with a file in his hands. "Sir, the papers," Khanna held them out to him and he nodded curtly, eyes perusing the documents before he signed them and handed the papers back to his most trusted employee.

"I want the place to be sparkling clean and make sure that staff know about their schedules," Khanna nodded as Shivaay instructed him, while fixing his tie and the watch around his wrist.

"Sir," Khanna spoke up hesitantly, making Shivaay arch an eyebrow in question. "You've not hired any chefs."

"And?" Shivaay rolled his eyes.

"Who'll cook?" Khanna gaped.

"You are aware of the fact that I can cook, right?" Shivaay retorted drily.

"But——" Khanna frowned.

"Khanna," Shivaay's eyes narrowed. "Do what I've told you, only. Do not try to be overly considerate."

"Yes, Sir," Khanna nodded obediently, and walked outside.

Shivaay hurried out of the room, only to see his grandmother looking through the papers as Khanna stood to a side, nervously chewing his lower lip.

"Bhaiya, what are those papers?" Rudra spoke up in a timid voice.

Shivaay rubbed his forehead—— he'd managed to avoid his family in the early hours that he had returned, but it seemed that luck had, unfortunately, decided to abandon him for the rest of the day—— if not, for the rest of his life.

Shivaay glanced at Aruna who nodded knowingly, with a small smile on her face, as she crossed her arms in front.

"May I have the papers back, Mrs. Oberoi," his question came out as more of a statement, as he held out his hand.

"Jiju, what are in those papers?" Gauri asked, hesitantly.

Shivaay ignored her question, arching an eyebrow at Kalyani who was glaring at him in contempt as she pursed her lips before twisting them into a scowl. She ripped the papers in half, throwing the pieces into the air as everyone except him, Khanna and Aruna, gasped.

"No, Shivaay," Kalyani stated coldly. "You cannot have the papers back."

Shivaay looked at Khanna who nodded discreetly, Shivaay raised a hand, and Khanna walked away while Aruna merely took a seat on the couches and looked on, with an amused smirk on her face.

"I don't have time for this nonsense," Shivaay rolled his eyes, attempting to walk past his biological paternal grandmother, when her wrinkled palm gripped his hand tightly, whirling him around.

"You cannot abandon your family," she hissed.

"The family that did not think twice to abandon me?" Shivaay retorted, wrenching his hand from her grip. "Think again, Mrs. Oberoi." Shivaay spotted Omkara making his way towards his wife.