prologue

Annika watched as Bhavya hid her face behind her hands, struggling to not cry. The youngest Oberoi bahu was grappling with not bursting out into tears. Annika felt her heart ache for Bhavya: Shivaay's disappearance—— when he had just returned to the mansion—— had rendered her unable to think straight. There'd been no sense of up or below, right or left.

"Kuch pata chala?" Kalyani asked Omkara who shook his head.

Annika crossed her arms in front, rubbing up and down her arms. There'd been a heavy heartache cumulating inside her ever since her husband's arrest. Over the years, she'd become numb to the insults and jabs she'd had to bear from the public, but the constant agony that she'd received from the very family that she had helped despite being constantly insulted were starting to take a toll.

"Rudra?" Bhavya's soft whisper caught their attention as they whirled around to face Shivaay and a battered looking Rudra. Bhavya stood up abruptly, before running towards her husband, with tears streaming down her cheeks. "Kahan chale gaye the aap?" She wrapped her arms around him. Rudra put an arm around his wife, awkwardly. Bhavya stepped back, slapping his chest before poking him repeatedly, "Do you have any idea how worried all of us were?"

"Ouch," Rudra grimaced, rubbing a sore spot. "Chot pe——"

Bhavya's murmuring of, "Sorry," made Rudra smile softly at his wife.

"Badi badi desho mein aise choti choti baatein hoti rehti hain, Señorita," Rudra attempted feebly, causing his wife to let out a watery laugh as she hugged him once more.

"Rudy," Kalyani walked forward. Bhavya stepped away and let her husband hug his grandmother. "I'm so glad you are safe. Hum log itna pareshaan the."

Rudra detangled himself from the hug, glancing at his grandmother hesitantly. Turning his neck slightly, so that he would be facing the man he owed his life to, he gathered all the courage left in him to utter the words, "Had Shivaay Bhaiya not been there, I wouldn't have been here, standing alive, in front of all of you."

Annika's heart warmed as she noticed the quiet happiness and gratitude in Shivaay's eyes. Her husband nodded subtly before glancing at her and tilting his head.

Annika followed him to a secluded corner where he handed her the idol back. "I may be responsible for saving Rudra's life, but you are responsible for saving mine." Annika looked at him confused but nonetheless decided to nod. "So, thank you," clearing his throat, her husband walked away.

Annika stood there puzzled for a few more seconds until she remembered the million different tasks she'd still had left to complete before the Diwali puja was to take place.

~^~

Annika chuckled softly as Omkara and Gauri bantered beside her and Bhavya while Rudra stood smiling awkwardly. She caught the sight of Shivaay entering the threshold, only to have her eyes widen as she noticed the beautifully decorated trellis tethering dangerously close towards tipping off balance and onto Shivaay.

"Shivaay!" She cried out. Her husband's puzzled glance lasted only a second before he turned around. Despite the conflicting feeling in her heart regarding Omkara and Rudra, the gratitude did not fail to make a place in it, as she watched them stop the trellis from falling onto Shivaay.

"Shivaay, are you alright?" Aruna looked worriedly at her grandson who nodded with a smile.

"I'm perfectly fine Nani," Shivaay replied.

"Well, don't just stand there," Aruna chided the Oberoi children with a smile. "Come over here. I've got gifts for all of you."

Annika had to admit that the elderly lady loved all the Oberoi children equally despite clearly having a soft spot for Shivaay. She watched as Aruna gifted each of them a small velvet box. While the Oberois hugged Aruna, Annika felt a hesitant hand on her shoulder.