EIGHT

SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA

SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA

PLANET EARTH

MARCH, 2023

"I see you've met our new sports teacher, Mr. Jeon?"

Mia fumbles for words.

"Ah - what?" she says at first, making the Headmistress pause - but then she gathers herself enough to say, "Um, yes, I know Ju- I mean - um, Mr. Jeon."

Where the hell did he get the surname Jeon from?

The Headmistress smiles serenely. "Yes, I thought I saw you together at the dance recital last week. Old friends, perhaps?"

The implication in her words makes Mia cringe, and Jungkook only makes it worse but smiling and saying - "Something like that."

Mia stares at him. She still can't believe he's here. As a teacher.

"Well, I hope you'll make him feel very welcome here, Miss Moon," the Headmistress cuts the silence between them, before starting down the corridor again. "Now, if you'll excuse us, we'll continue our tour."

Mia glances at Jungkook. He hasn't moved to follow the Headmistress. His eyes are blazing with electricity, but his face gives nothing away. She can't tell if he is upset, angry... or simply unaffected by this whole thing.

She has to find out. So she acts on impulse.

"Actually," she calls after the pair, "I can show Mr. Jeon around for the rest of the tour if you like? I'm sure you're very busy."

The Headmistress lights up at her suggestion. "Why thank you. In that case, Mr. Jeon, I will leave you in Miss Moon's capable hands."

Mia watches as she turns and walks away from them, leaving just her, Jungkook - and the remaining students who are yet to take their eyes off him. 

"Don't you all have places to be?" Mia snaps at them, a little harsher than intended - but in fairness, she's feeling pretty stressed. The students around them titter and giggle as they scatter, heading for their classes.

It's only now that Mia realises how idiotic it was for her to volunteer for this tour, because she too has a class to teach, starting in five minutes.

Damn it, she curses. It's like the angel puts a signal dampener on my brain. 

At that moment her colleague, Chul, turns the corner onto the corridor, and she pulls him aside.

"Can you cover my junior class?" she pleads him, seeing his wide eyes at her frantic nature. "Please. I have an - important errand to run."

Chul's expression lights up at first at being asked - but then he spots Jungkook behind her, recognising the handsome man from the dance recital - and it changes to a downright glower. Still, he nods, hurrying off in the direction of her classroom.