A Quest for the Outcast

They begin to make their way to the House when Annabeth suddenly appears in front of her, carrying that Yankees hat from earlier.

"Annabeth..." Mara breathed out as Declan began to retreat slowly.

"Don't think about going anywhere, Carrot Top," Annabeth said as Declan cursed to himself.

"Where are you guys going?" Annabeth asked Mara who looked anywhere but those grey eyes of hers.

"To the Big House...We were going to ask Chiron something," She says and Annabeth looks at Declan, and back at Mara.

"I know what you are thinking, but I am not lying. I really am going to ask him something."

"The both of you?" Annabeth asks as she points.

"Yes, why do you care all of a sudden?" Mara says as she tries to push past her, but Annabeth stops her.

"What are you doing, Beth?"

"Are you mad at me for something?" Annabeth asked her burning question. Mara laughed.

"Not at all," Mara said, some bitterness in her tone. Declan stands there awkwardly as he watches the interaction.

"Something else?" Mara questioned as she clasped her hands together, waiting.

"You can't go right now," Annabeth said, in a rather nervous tone. "Chiron is busy."

"Fine I won't," She says, "Anything else?" Annabeth shook her head, tapping her cap against the palm of her hand.

She steps closer.

"Are you sure there's nothing going on?"

Mara sighed, pushing past her. Declan awkwardly waved goodbye, "I'll see you at breakfast, no wait. It's dinner. I mean lunch. maybe even training. Arts and crafts...Or maybe even the—"

"Let's go, Declan!" Mara called out, still walking away.

"Got it!" Declan weakly muttered as he followed after her.

Annabeth watched her walk away, presumably back to the woods. She frowned as she put her cap back on, her form shimmering and disappearing into thin air.

In the Big House, Percy sat in front of Chiron with Grover right beside him. It was time to discuss something rather important.

"Tell me, Percy," he said. "What did you make of the hellhound?"

Just hearing the name made Percy shudder.

Chiron probably wanted him to say, "Heck, it was nothing. I eat hellhounds for breakfast." But Percy didn't feel like lying.

"It scared me," he said. "If you hadn't shot it, I'd be dead."

"You'll meet worse, Percy. Far worse, before you're done."

"Done...with what?"

"Your quest, of course. Will you accept it?"

Percy glanced at Grover, who was crossing his fingers.

"Um, sir," he said, "you haven't told me what it is yet."