Chapter 56 Give up?

Start from the beginning

She was so pleasantly surprised that she blurted out: "Brother Wen, this thing is really interesting. Where did you get it? I want to give one to Xijun!"

Wen Rubin was taken aback and said awkwardly: "I exchanged gems for it from a businessman from the Western Regions. The businessman had already left the capital..."

Su Panyan realized her recklessness and lowered her eyes guiltily, "I'm sorry Brother Wen. It's my fault."

Wen Rubin stroked her head gently, "Silly girl, why do you apologize to me?"

The better Wen Rubin is, the more uneasy Su Panyan becomes. It's not that she doesn't like Wen Rubin. Being with him is a habit she has accumulated over time. He treats her gently and considerately, and almost always fulfil her requests. And Cui Muli - she got to know him through books, and she went from being disgusted at the beginning to being deeply attracted to him. Even though he is now arrogant and cold, rejecting her thousands of miles away, she still wants to get close, wants to touch, and wants to nestle beside him forever.

Assuming that she is not engaged to Wen Rubin——

Su Panyan thought about it thousands of times, but finally gave up with red eyes. She lacked the courage to disobey her father's orders, and even less courage to face Wen Rubin's heartbreak. She is one of the most ordinary and timid among countless boudoir girls in the world.

She persuaded herself to let go, but on the other hand, she couldn't help but approach Cui Xijun, thinking that it would be good to be closer to him. If he could respond, she might be able to develop the courage to resist the engagement.

But he didn't. Even at the Flower Festival Banquet, he took Xie Miao away in front of everyone.

Has he fallen in love with Xie Miao? Because they get along day and night in Cui Mansion, close to the water terrace? (t/n: close to the water is an idiom for getting priority or opportunities due to proximity.)

Su Panyan cried secretly and couldn't sleep all night. She racked her brains and couldn't think of a way to solve it. In the past, Cui Muli had a good impression of her, but his attitude was only a little gentle, and he never exceeded any words or deeds. However, he held Xie Miao's hand in front of the public without hesitation.

Su Panyan was in a daze for a moment, and then had a delusional thought: Maybe it's not too late? Before he takes any further step with Xie Miao...

"Eh?" Wen Rubin frowned.

Su Panyan came back to her senses and pursed her lips uncomfortably, "What, what's wrong?"

Wen Rubin put down the telescope, shook his head and said, "Maybe my eyesight is wrong."

Su Panyan breathed a sigh of relief and asked, "What did you see?"

Wen Rubin thought for a moment, "Do you still remember the cousin Third Miss Cui brought to the Flower Festival Banquet?"

Third Miss Cui's cousin?

Su Panyan said: "You mean Xie Miao, Miss Xie?"

Wen Rubin nodded silently and handed her the telescope.

Su Panyan looked at it with some confusion, then slowly her eyes widened, her heart beating rapidly.

What did she see? It's Third Young Master Zhou and Xie Miao. Unexpectedly, they are drifting on the lake together?

The two figures were reflected in the small lens, and they were sitting in the pavilion admiring the scenery. Zhou Niannan played the flute while Xie Miao rested her chin on one hand and listened quietly.