29. And Down We Go

Meanwhile, outside, Frank navigated the quiet streets of Belleville, his mind racing with thoughts of Gerard and the uncertainty of their situation. Despite the fear and apprehension gnawing at his insides, he couldn't shake the feeling of hope that burned bright within him. Gerard would sort things out, right? Bert couldn't be that persistent once he realised that Gerard truly loved Frank. And if he was? Well, Gerard and Frank could move, or run away.

Frank's fingers twitched against the steering wheel; it had been a while since he'd given up smoking, but he was itching for a cigarette in that moment. He drove a little further, pulling into the parking lot outside a convenience store. He was quite impressed that they were still open at eight o'clock on Christmas night. He fished through the glovebox and centre console of Gerard's car, hoping to find some money. Even if there was only loose change, Frank could buy himself a shitty coffee or a can of soda. Much to his delight, his hands landed on a ten dollar bill. He folded it once, shutting off the car engine and stepping outside into the wintery air.

"Hey man," Frank said hopefully to the bored-looking guy behind the counter. "Can I get the cheapest pack of red cigarettes you have? And a lighter."

The cashier nodded, turning towards the cabinet behind him. Frank consulted the drinks fridge while the man rifled through the cigarette boxes, selecting a can of full-sugar Coke and putting it on the counter.

"That's all, thanks," Frank smiled, handing over Gerard's money. "How's your night been, what time do you knock off?"

"Ten," the man said in a gruff voice. He thrust the change into Frank's outstretched hand. "Merry Christmas."

"You too!" Frank smiled. He took his items and headed out the door. "Have a nice night."

Frank hurried back to the warmth of the car, hoping to find a nice place to smoke somewhere down the road. He wasn't going to do it inside Gerard's pristine, new Lexus, that was for sure. He pulled out of the parking lot and continued down the road, eventually finding himself out the front of the Baptist church again. Their car park was desolate now, the majority of the Christmas display switched off, bar the occasional, simple strand of twinkling lights. Frank pulled up haphazardly, parking across two spaces because who was going to get up him for it tonight? He pulled up the handbrake and cracked open his Coke with a hiss, sipping on it and letting the fizz swish around his teeth and tongue.

Frank left his half-empty coke can in the cupholder, tugging his sleeves over his hands and his hood over his head. He cracked open the car door and assumed a comfy position on the curb near the main entrance to the church. Using his thumbnail to split open the plastic wrap, he uncased his pack of cigs and fished out a single dart. He lit it with aching, chilly hands, taking the first few drags before ashing it over the gutter.

He was so engrossed in his cigarette that it took him a few moments to register the man that strolled in his direction.

"Hey, Frankie," Bert drawled.

Frank shot up clumsily, dropping his cigarette on the ground and stamping it out. He eyed the vampire warily, taking a step back on the footpath.

"Why are you here? Did you follow me?" He asked, trying his best to maintain a stern tone. Bert simply raked his eyes over Frank's frame, a dangerous smirk on his lips.

"Can I have one of those?" He asked, gesturing to the pack of cigarettes.

Frank raised an eyebrow, holding the pack out to Bert. He offered the lighter once Bert had selected a cigarette, and the vampire held it up to his lips before clicking the wheel down. He took an excessively long drag; Frank watched as the ash climbed further and further towards the filter of Bert's cigarette as he inhaled - all in one breath. Bert released the cigarette, exhaling a fat cloud of smoke all over Frank's face; seriously, the guy had finished the whole cigarette in one drag. Bert flicked the still-hot cancer stick onto the ground between them, and Frank's awkward feet did a funny little shuffle to dodge the burning cigarette butt.