14. A Stain That Never Comes Off the Sheets

Frank warily pulled on his Vans, double-knotting his laces; the sole of his right shoe was starting to peel, making an awkward thwacking noise every time he took a step.

"I can get you some new shoes," Gerard offered.

"It's fine," Frank said defensively. "I usually keep my shoes until they're unwearable, anyway."

Gerard frowned, but didn't protest, instead flicking the lock on the front door and pulling it open. He grabbed a water bottle that was resting on the table and gestured to the sunlight that was creeping in from outside.

"After you," he waved Frank out the door with a smile.

"Thanks."

The day marked the one week anniversary of Frank 'moving in' to Gerard's house and, as promised, Gerard said he and Frank could go for a walk together in the woods that surrounded their home. Frank was excited to get outside for a change, but he also could feel his anxiety creeping up on him; he had watched one too many scary movies that involved people getting lured into the forest, and Gerard... Well, Gerard was a vampire, after all.

"Where are we going?" Frank asked, trudging down the winding gravel path that extended from Gerard's driveway.

"I was thinking I could take you to this place I visit sometimes," Gerard explained vaguely. Frank nodded in begrudging acceptance.

"Is it far?" He asked.

Gerard stopped abruptly in his tracks, nearly causing Frank to collide with him.

"Not if you're a vampire," he grimaced. "I'll tell you what - we walk, you tell me if you get tired and I'll carry you the rest of the way."

"Carry me?" Frank scoffed. "I'm sure I'll make it."

The pair spent the most part of the next two hours trekking through the woods, stopping frequently so Frank could have some water. Frank was adamant that he could make it without needing help from Gerard, and so far he was keeping up with the vampire's pace. He was, however, silently grateful that it was October, as opposed to a summer month or the dead of winter. The crisp autumn climate allowed him to enjoy a comfortable walk.

"So," Gerard began, "I understand that it's a bit of an odd subject, but how are you liking it here?"

Frank pondered his question for a moment. Sure, he liked it at Gerard's home - it was comfortable, and the man provided him with everything he needed. There was, however, the threat of Gerard drinking his blood still looming over his head. He knew what the vampire was capable of, and he hadn't forgotten how he was technically kidnapped by Gerard in the first place.

"It's nice," Frank said nonchalantly. "You have a really lovely home, and I'm grateful that you've been paying for my food. I was considering sleeping on the streets until you showed up, to be honest."

Gerard smiled at Frank's words, despite sensing that there was still some hesitancy behind the man's sentiment.

"It's a big change," Gerard said. "I understand if you're still nervous. It's not every day that one finds themselves in your situation, so I admire your bravery."

Frank nodded while Gerard continued.

"I also appreciate your kindness and openness to the whole thing," the vampire added. "Most people in your situation would be far more reluctant. You seem to have become acclimated quite nicely."

"I guess so," Frank mumbled. His feet were starting to ache, the pain reminding him of the Sever's he used to get when he was a kid.

"We're nearly there," Gerard said. He found it cute that Frank was refusing to give up. "I promise it's worth it."

Echoes of Eclipsed Fears (Frerard)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara