PART XI: The plan

Kumaran got up and rubbed his fingers together, dusting off the excess Kanku powder from them. He had just completed making a holy square pattern filled with divine symbols on the floor of his apartment.

"Tada!" He flourished his arms at it and smiled at Das. "It is ready."

"It looks beautiful." Edha remarked from her sofa seat, eating vada pav slowly.

"Thank you, you are too kind.  I am an artist too, you know." He feinted pride and shyness. "And hey, don't eat all of that. Save some for me too."

"I paid for it, so my wish." Edha winked and took a big bite. She was doing it on purpose and he knew it.

"Now what is next?" Das asked with a plain face; apparently, he was not interested in their jokes.

"Now, you need to sit in the centre, inspector, in that circle inside." Kumaran stretched his back into an arc, pressing his fist against it.

Das followed his instructions. "Now?"

"Now, you stop asking 'now'." Kumaran sat before him on the floor, outside the square, cross-legged. His prayer items were ready just beside him.

Das gave him a strict look as if offended.

"Please forgive his tone, inspector. He is like that..." Edha apologised on Kumaran's behalf, afraid the inspector was going to get angry.

"I didn't say anything, so why are you apologising?" He raised an eyebrow at her and cracked his knuckles.

"The inspector seemed—"

"I'm gonna start the prayer, so would you mind?" He gave her a slanted smile.

She blew her cheeks and angrily did something with her lips.

Eyes closed in concentration, chanting a prayer of protection in sanskrit, Kumaran waved his hands at Das and made out symbols in the air. He opened his eyes after that and saw Das' aura getting a bright layer of protection. He picked the amulet beside him, a thick red thread tied with a cubical copper piece, and handed it to Das, asking him to tie it around his wrist.

Das did accordingly.

Then Kumaran picked up the copper container on his left that had peacock feather dipped in the Ganga Jal inside it. With a swift flick of his forearm, he sprinkled the Jal on Das while chanting more prayer loudly. Das' protective layer fortified.

He placed it back on the floor and then joined his hands flat together, straightened his back, and started praying once again.

The vestiges of foreign energy in Das' aura field started to get agitated. Some of the vestiges even started to disappear. That was a sign the prayer was going well.

After finishing the prayer, Kumaran picked the Kanku powder box and took a pinch of it between his fingers. He leaned forward and smudged it cleanly in a neat, short line on Das' forehead, between the eyebrows.

The prayer was complete.

"That shall keep you a little bit safer, inspector. Aren't you gonna ask 'now'?" He chuckled and got up.

"Thank you truly." Das bowed his head in gratitude.

"You're welcome. That will cost one lakh." Kumaran grinned. "Just kidding. Now you can get up and take a seat at the sofa." He waved at the sofa set, walking to Edha who had the packet of vada pav on her lap as if it was her precious property.

"Okay," Das took a seat, his face no longer seemed so tensed.

"Gimme that," Kumaran held out his palm to Edha.