PART VIII: Connected

(Earlier that day)

Just outside Parvati Hospital, under the shade of a tree Kumaran stood, contemplatively gazing the city tainted purple by the post-sunset skies. He had two glasses of rosemilk in his hands, Food4U printed on them. One for him, one for Edha.

Since she decided to do extra hours, he ventured out early to get a few things done and returned to get her before proceeding to the important stages of what she called 'paranormal investigation'.

"Kumaran," her soft, elegant voice snatched him out of his contemplation.

He looked over his shoulders and immediately froze. He stopped sipping through the straw.

Edha was dressed in a way that suited her best and complimented her personality. A light pink slim fit shirt over a white T-shirt went well with her fair tone and her naturally pink cheeks. Her light blue skinny jeans was the perfect choice given her dark brown hair.

"Thanks for waiting." She came and stood in front of him.

A cool breeze blew past them, sweeping the dry leaves off the ground and tossing them in the air. They twirled about in leisure, crackling and rustling.

Those old days came rushing to Kumaran's head out of nowhere, lightening his heart with ease.

The traffic noise faded out. All he could hear were laughters, chuckles, and playful shrieks from a sweet past that seemed so distant, and all he could see was the old Edha smiling at him — that smile he rarely found in other, a smile truly caring.

It had been long since he saw her like that. As he stood there, looking at those eyes that never failed to be so captivating, present became a replay of the past.

"What are you looking at? Do I have something on my face?" Her graceful mountain-shaped eyebrows jumped as she questioned.

He was still lost.

"Hello? Snap out of it." She snapped her fingers in front of his face.

He blinked and came out of his euphoric pondering pause. He started sipping again. "What?"

"What we're you thinking?"

"I uhh, nothing. Just uhh—"

"Is that for me?" Her attention turned to the rosemilk in his hand.

In his head he thanked the rosemilk for taking her attention off him.

"Uhh — Yeah. Yeah." His hands darted forward reflexively and pushed the glass into the grip of her hands.

"Thanks so much! Really needed this." She immediately started sipping through the straw eyes closed.

"Yeah, I can see that." He chuckled and walked to the roadside. "Anyways, I will get the taxi."

In Mumbai, getting a taxi felt easier and faster than getting an auto-rickshaw in Chennai — the drivers often argued about the price, it was a headache. He caught one within few minutes and at a good price. That was a big plus point. But the down side to traveling in Mumbai was, the unforgivable and patience-testing traffic. However, given the situation, he thanked the Mumbai taxi drivers for one more thing — most of them had the radio turned on all the time, at least in day time, and that ensured privacy to talk in low whispers.

"Where are we heading?" Edha asked him as they hopped on the taxi.

"Inspector Das's house. He is an assistant inspector, by the way." Kumaran reeled down the window with difficulty, the age of the car being evident in its rusty parts.

"You know his address? How?" She shot a quizzed look.

He leaned closer to her and winked as he whispered "Got my ways."