PART X: One more lead

"How did you... How do you know?" Das was lost of lost of words.

"I am a shaman." Kumaran shower the rudhraksh amulet tied around his own right wrist. "Not one of the frauds."

"He—" Edha was about to say but her nervosity choked her. She closed her eyes, took a deep breath, trying to gather her trembling courage near the inspector who had caught them planning a lie just at his doorstep. She blew out her anxiety slowly and then started again. "He really is — regardless of how he looks."

"Hey!" Kumaran gave her an offended look. "The heck does that mean?!"

"I mean! You look like you are this modern dude. People think shamans are usually — you know — dressed differently and all." She spoke breathlessly and rapidly with a confused face to clear things.

"Oh, that's what you meant."

"Yeah," Edha suddenly burst with frustration and slapped her lap, glaring him. "Don't interrupt me!"

"Okay, okay. Calm down." He gestured with his hands as if backing off.

"You better not be scamming here." Das said strictly, his protruding jaws implying clearly that he was pressing his teeth.

"Look, Inspector." Kumaran turned his attention to Das again. "You said it all yourself. All I did was just say the truth you've been trying to deny in your head. I'm not scamming. I got better stuff to do."

"Even if that is true," Das shook his head skeptically. "Why are you here? I didn't even call you for help. Logically speaking and practically thinking, you have just done your homework and now you're here to fool me."

"You are a cop yourself, and you're asking me why I'm here without you calling and you make that a base for suspicion?" Kumaran frowned, smirking out of annoyance and somewhat offended. "Do innocent victims have to call you? If you know someone needs help and is being wronged, do you wait for their call? And let's say you don't, and you get there by yourself, does that make you suspicious or a scam? Should those victims be distrustful towards you?"

Das' silence showed that he had nothing to speak against his logic, but his face was still skeptical.

Kumaran's eyes trained at his police dress hanging on the wall. "Oh yeah, you got a dress, a batch." He said with a sarcastic face and shrugged. "That speaks for you, right? Too bad, I don't got the type of dress you see shamans wearing mostly — in the movies. Don't pay me, if that convinces you."

"It isn't about that. I just can't see a reason in your actions."

"You can say shamans are paranormal police officers, just without the badge. My annoying neighbour has death hovering over her head, and so do you. Two people have already died, the late inspector and Pankaj — she died right near me, by the way, Pankaj." Kumaran clicked his tongue. "I failed to save an innocent. And that pisses me off. That's all the reason I need, inspector."

Das didn't say anything.

"I mean, if you still think that's not enough, then I will just go already. Don't wanna waste either of our time." Kumaran angrily rose from his seat. "But I will tell you, I will find another way to protect my neighbour and you, doesn't matter if you help me or not. I may fail, but I refuse to not try." He waved his hands at Edha. "Let's go, Edha. Thanks for your time, inspector."

"Wait." Das held up his hand. "I'm sorry. I don't know how to say this. I still don't believe all this, but I see truth in your eyes."

Kumaran raised an eyebrow and tittered.

"Tell me, how to stop this? Will you do some prayer?" He looked up at him.

Kumaran walked to the window and peeked out through the gap between the curtains. "Well, that's a movie thing too most of the times. And this case is a bit more complicated than that. The thing after you is strong. Prayers aren't enough especially if a shaman student such as me is the one doing it. If it was a high-class, then that is enough. But you're stuck with me, I suppose."