"I don't know where to start" Valor roughly squeezed his eyes, finally finding steadiness of his voice.

"I have a feeling you are going to fucking yap for a good while" Raven rolled his eyes at the siffling man, few years his senior.

"So out with the most important thing first," Raven pulled his stool closer to Valor, making their circle tighter. "Why should we leave?"

"My father had closed a deal with the King of West. Kaizer Schulz will hand over Salkow to North in exchange of River Verlice and the metal piece he possesses."

Valor scrutinized River's face with panic bridled eyes, holding his breath. He thoroughly scanned his younger brother's visage to find a trace of hurt, sadness or betrayal. At least a passing wave of shock. Even Raven's perpetual mocking gaze held a hint of sympathy as he too, watched River.

"Isn't Kaizer getting the shorter end of the deal?" River finally asked, after moment of thoughtful silence. "That is like one third of the kingdom"

"Why is that your first concern?" Valor gripped his forearm in desperation. "He basically agreed to sell you off."

River sighed, exasperated. "I noticed"

"If you have it, or even an inkling to where it is," Valor's fingers dug into River's arms. "Please, give it to Kaizer." he gulped thickly "or even Alistair. Just don't hold on to it. Kaizer Schulz only wish to have the metal piece. He has nothing against you."

River gently patted on his brother's hand, reassuringly "I won't, and I can't. Most importantly, I don't have it."

"Kaizer Schulz has completely lost his mind." Valor bit on the inside of his cheek, making his voice sound funny. "He had gone mad, like a rabid dog."

"He is not mad." River stated calmly. "He is desperate, Val."

"Why?" Raven asked, joining the conversation.

"I have a guess at why." River tapped on his chin, blue eyes glinting under the yellow torch light inside Mara's.

No. I know why.

"Let me guess." River reclined against countertop; his whole frame relaxed. He held no sign of emotional distress, whatsoever. 

"Lucian Verlice panicked a great deal once he found I've escaped, and his brain started smoking when he found Raven was behind it."

Valor stared at his brother like a doe, eyes widened in bewilderment. He nodded slowly, saying yes.

"Darling Alistair here is as discreet as a tornado, so he tracked me down in no time." River's voice droned on, devoid of any emotions. "When he found I was helping him to find the metal piece, he asked the queen to send her brother to drag me back dead or alive. But he failed."

"Fuuko.." Valor stammered, squirming in his seat. 

You have nothing to apologize for, Val.

Raven was listening more attentively than usual, with no sudden questions, to River's surprise.

"Solina killed her entire family to stop the piece from being extracted. By what I've heard, Kaizer had been after it like a hellbent hound since its disappearance at Saltsand."

River explained, folding one slender finger at time, for each scenario.

"God threatened to strike Raven with lightening, though honestly, he is only mildly spooked by it. Aithan was promised something too, which he rejected. I have a hunch that Wolfram, too, at one point was ordered by the gods to find it. I could be wrong there, though."