Chapter 53 Getting back on track

Почніть із самого початку

He said: "Give me some more time, and I will make her willingly accept this pot of peonies."

As she was free, Madam Marquis Dingyuan chatted a few more words with him.

She asked: "Tell me, how do you get along with her on weekdays?"

Zhou Niannan hesitated, "Well..."

Madam Marquis Dingyuan saw some clues and said, "Tell me the truth. Don't hide anything."

After all, she was his own mother. Zhou Niannan didn't lie. He removed Cui Muli and told everything about his marriage proposal.

After hearing this, Madam Marquis Dingyuan felt like a bolt from the blue had almost split her into pieces.

Madam Marquis Dingyuan pinched the inside of his arm with her fingernails, "I gave birth to a fool like you!"

Zhou Niannan screamed in pain and immediately jumped three inches away, "Mom! Please be gentle!"

"Gentle? I'm afraid I won't be able to wake you up, you idiot!" Madam Marquis Dingyuan sneered, "What do you mean when you reach your age, you just need a marriage? What does it mean that she can only make a profit and no loss by marrying you? Do you want to marry her, or are you looking for her to partner up in business?"

These words poked Zhou Niannan's worries. He smiled bitterly and said, "I thought...I thought she was from an ordinary background and would be overjoyed to have the opportunity to marry into the Marquis Mansion. Little did I know that she didn't care about it at all."

Madam Marquis Dingyuan was silent. In fact, it was not just Nan'er. Prior to seeing Xie Miao stopping Princess Qingyang, she also felt that Xie Miao was trying to gain access to the Marquis Mansion.

"Alas." Madam Marquis Dingyuan sighed, her expression softened slightly, "Father Xie has outstanding character and deserves to be called a virtuous official who loves the people like his own children. As his daughter, Xie Miao is also of extraordinary character. If you want to gain her favour, you need to treat her wholeheartedly first, and you must not use your status to pressure others."

He understood the truth, but...

Zhou Niannan said in a muffled voice: "I can't even see her, so how can I treat her wholeheartedly?"

Madam Marquis Dingyuan saw the frustration in his eyes and asked seriously: "Nan'er, do you really like her?"

Zhou Niannan was a little surprised, but his tone was firm: "Mother, I really like her."

Very good.

Madam Marquis Dingyuan took the opportunity to say: "In that case, you must first get rid of your bad habits! You are no longer allowed to fight cocks, drink, and gamble. You must behave well in front of the Emperor."

"No problem, I'll change everything." Zhou Niannan agreed, putting his arm around her shoulders and followed her example thoroughly, saying: "Then Mother also has to help me think of a way..."

He whispered in the ear of Madam Marquis Dingyuan, and the mother and son talked for a long time.

*

At that time, Xie Miao was very busy.

She was going to the paper mill in the morning to visit Qiaogu and Fang Zhiruo, inspect the business conditions, and then discuss the next plan with Sun Shenyuan. At noon, she will take the maids to have a bowl of jelly and steamed buns. In the afternoon, she will go to Baochang Pavilion to help Cui Muli choose gifts...

Ah, what a fulfilling day.

Qiaogu and Fang Zhiruo hadn't seen Xie Miao for a long time, so they held onto her and talked for a long time. Several months have passed and Qiaogu has become more rounded and slightly taller. Most importantly, her face was no longer sad and is full of energy.