Honestly, this was all Grand’Mere’s fault. Her blatant display of favouritism had destroyed our family foundation.

“So why the sudden visit?” I asked, eager to shift the mood and to make small talk with the eccentric woman. “I mean, not that I don’t appreciate you being here, of course,” I corrected quickly. “I do, I really do.” I smiled widely. Too widely.

I didn’t know who I was trying to convince more – her or me.

She nodded in agreement, as if having her around is akin to being graced by the presence of angels. “Of course.” She picked out the fattest chocolate bonbon on the tray and took a small bite out of it. “I came over because I had figured that you would want to thank me yourself for talking some sense into that idiotic father of yours.”

I was confused.

I mean, obviously I was appalled by Grand’Mere’s dose of self-righteousness but what was new.

“I don’t really follow you, Grand’Mere,” I said perplexedly. What did I have to thank her for? Besides the fact that I was lucky to have her as my grandmother, as she would always say.

Grand’Mere sighed. “Morgana has not told you yet?”

Morgana was my Mother.

She had not told me anything.

I didn’t know if I wanted to be grateful to my grandmother.

I shook my head. Grand’Mere sighed even louder. “Must I do everything around here?” she gently rested her hand on her chest as if lamenting all the hardships she has had to endure for me.

Hunter and I snorted inwardly. Because her life was really difficult.

“You’re staying.”

I blinked.

Hunter blinked across the room.

Time just stood still for a while as I digested what Grand’Mere had said.

“You mean…” I dared not hope.

“Yes, you are not going to that Mufasa place,” she confirmed.

And that was all I needed.

I. Couldn’t. Breathe.

I screamed and ran to the Channel no. 21 doused human being in front of me and hugged her. Hunter would have probably joined me hugging Grand’Mere if it wasn’t for the fact that it was Grand’Mere.

Oh, my God, Oh, my God, Oh, my God, Oh, my God, Oh, my God, Oh, my God, Oh, my God, Oh, my God,” I jumped and bounced around the room excitedly.

Oh, my God, Oh, my God, Oh, my God, Oh, my God, Oh, my God, Oh, my God, oh mywait!

As fast as the excitement rushed in, it dissipated into the air like a drop of water in the Sahara. Dark clouds started to gather above my head as I went into depression.

“It still doesn’t resolve the Tristan issue,” I walked zombie-ly to the couch to throw myself head first into the red sponginess. Dad had always been a bit of a scaredy cat when it came to Grand’Mere. People in general would fall into that category, myself included. So while she may have terrorized him to let me stay, I’d still probably end up in Burkina Faso in the weeks to come if I didn’t end up dead before that.

Oh, life, why art thou so cruel?

“Tristan?” Grand’Mere said, astonished. “Who is this Tristan boy you speak of?”