Chapter 12

Clatter- .

Lina looked at the Duke as she closed the lid of the teapot, steam rising from its hot surface. He was tirelessly flipping through papers, playing with his pen.

'I told him he could take a break today, and suddenly he asks for tea.'

She thought it was a serious matter by the serious look in the Duke's dark face. But all he asked for was a cup of tea.

She had even stupidly asked him why.

'He could have just ordered one of the other maids.'

The Duke's changed attitude in the morning must have been a misunderstanding.

'Haah- .'

Lina sighed without anyone noticing and poured the tea into an empty cup.

"Duke."

Lina approached Valige, holding the tray, and carefully set the teacup down.

"It's hot, please be careful."

The Duke, who had briefly glanced at her, elegantly sipped the tea. But then his brow twitched as he took a sip.

"Why does it taste like this?"

"What seems to be the problem......?"

"It tastes too bitter."

It seemed she had steeped the tea leaves too long. Lina picked up the Duke's teacup with a regretful expression.

"I apologize. I will brew it again."

Lina emptied the teapot filled with hot tea and started to correct the tea leaves.

'This time it should be okay?'

The perfect temperature for steeping tea leaves. A well- brewed black tea, everything was perfect.

"Here you are, Duke."

But he rejected it without even trying properly this time.

"Why does it smell like this? Is there something wrong with the tea leaves?"

"What? That can't be."

The black tea served to the Duke was made using the finest tea leaves, which commoners couldn't even afford to look at.

She carefully brought her face close to the teacup. The aromatic tea fragrance was unmistakable; it had brewed well.

"Brew it again."

"......Yes. I understand."

But what could she do if the Duke said to brew it again? She had to brew it again and again until he was satisfied.

'Is he in a bad mood?'

Lina picked up the teacup that was on the desk, looking at his complexion. His mood seemed very uneasy. Did something unpleasant happen in between? He seemed fine in the morning.

'Is it something I did wrong?'

She was about to pour the tea into an empty bowl, reflecting on her behavior throughout the day when she accidentally spilled hot tea on her hand, lost in thought.

"Ah!"

Startled by the sudden burning sensation, she dropped the teapot.

Crash- !

The porcelain broke, and the fragments of the teapot, still containing hot tea, scattered everywhere.

The luxurious carpet was a mess, with tea and broken porcelain.