Volume 6:Part 7

The next day, it was finally time for Chabashira to explain the rules for the sports festival. Kushida decided to make her way to school on her own, so I walked with Kei instead, and we made it to class on time.

Chabashira then walked in and took a deep breath before talking.

"Now that we've all had some time to relax after the last special exam, I will begin explaining the rules for this year's sports festival. As you know the sports festival takes place next week. It will involve all grade levels just like last year. However, the way you earn points will be different now."

She paused for a moment to see if everyone was keeping up and then continued.

"First off, you'll be competing in this sports festival as pairs. You can pick any partner as long as they're the opposite gender and are from a different grade level. So if we take Hirata, for example, he'll have to pick any first or third year girl as his partner. Horikita will have to pick any first or third year boy as her partner. Any questions so far?"

Surprisingly, no one raised their hand, so Chabashira went on.

"For events that require more than 2 players, you can partner up with other pairs to fulfil the player requirement. Each event you participate in will earn you points depending on your placement. If a pair, then both will earn points for first place. The class rewards will calculate the total number of points earned by the entire class and decide the winners that way. However, there are also individual rewards. So if a pair does exceptionally well but the rest or their class doesn't achieve good results, then that pair will earn private points, but the class itself won't earn class points."

I see. So you pair up with another student and do your best in the sports festival while hoping that the rest of your class can also earn points. This sports festival focuses more on individual abilities than teamwork or anything of the sort, which is definitely Nagumo's style.

"Teachers and cameras will be observing each competition and recording the results so you don't have to worry about calculating your individual or class points it will all be done by us. All you need to do at this sports festival is aim for a high placement in every competition you participate in."

Chabashira then passed around the detailed rules with all the rewards and extra rules. There were no penalties here besides losing class points.

Class rankings:

1st place:+150CP
2nd place:+50CP
3rd place:-50CP
4th place:-150CP

Individual rankings:

1st place:2.5 million private points.
2nd place:2 million private points.
3rd place:1.5 million private points.
4th place:1 million private points.
5th place:0.5 million private points.

The offer of private points was definitely beneficial because it would motivate the entire class to do their best on all events, which could post the total points earned by the class.

"You can participate in a maximum of 10 events during the sports festival. If you wish to do nothing, that's also an option, but that would lower the total points earned by the class. Even if you come in last, you'll earn 1 point for simply entering any event. If you achieve first place in any event, that will be 10 points."

10 points for first place and at least one point for last place. The rules this time are definitely interesting.

Chabashira wished us luck and then left the classroom. Horikita and Yousuke got up to discuss the rules and answer any questions while trying to come up with a plan. I didn't pay too much attention to what was said, and just sat by myself.

The rest of the day went by normally, I went to eat with Kushida again and then attended all my classes. At the end of the day, however, Horikita came up to me.

"Ayanokoji-kun. President Nagumo said he wants to speak with you at the end of the day. Did you do something?"

I could already tell what this was about. I shrugged at Horikita and got up to leave.

I made my way to the student council office and knocked on the door. I let myself in and saw Nagumo sitting in his chair as usual and Ichinose sitting next to him discussing something. I made my way over, and he ushered me to sit down, so I did. Ichinose looked uncomfortable when I got there, but I couldn't blame her since we hadn't spoken since that day on the ship.

"You asked for me?"

Ichinose tried to get up and give us some privacy, but Nagumo stopped her from leaving.

"You don't mind that Honami is here, do you? We've been spending a lot of time together and I usually walk her back to the dorms so I don't want her to leave yet."

I shook my head without saying a word. Nagumo's tactic was so easy to see through. He wanted to make me jealous by having Ichinose here which would lead me to accept whatever challenge her offers out of spite. His plan would of course fail since I didn't really care but this time I would play along since I needed to use Nagumo for my own plans.

"You heard about the rules for the sports festival right? Do you know who to partner up with?"

I nodded.

"I have an idea or two."

He chuckled at my response then went on.

"That's good. Find a reliable partner and compete against me and Honami how about that?"

Ichinose looked surprised at his offer. She didn't understand my relationship with Nagumo so it made sense why she'd react this way.

"Compete how?"

He looked straight at me now.

"Whoever gets first place in the individual rankings wins."

He was definitely going all out with that offer.

"I'll pass."

I got up to leave but he obviously wouldn't stop there.

"The individual rankings won't be made public. Don't run away from Honami again you're hurting her feelings you know?"

I see. That part was definitely intriguing. He set up the rules specifically that way to make sure I'd accept.

He put his hand on Ichinose's face and looked at me with a smirk on his face. Ichinose was flustered and didn't even try to move away. I had planned to accept his offer from the start but I was waiting for this chance.

"Fine. But after I win you'll owe me a favour."

He looked intrigued at my words and asked.

"What kind of favour?"

I started glaring at him to make him believe that his irritation was working.

"Whatever favour I want. Or do you think you'll lose?"

His smile faded and instead he glared back at me.

"I won't lose."

I nodded at him and walked away. I felt Ichinose looking back at me but I didn't look towards her.

Nagumo believed that everything was going perfectly but truthfully he was the one playing right into my hand. I pretended to be irritated by his behaviour towards Ichinose in order to avoid suspicion. The reason I actually accepted was to get Nagumo to help me against Yagami. His resources and control over the third years will be a useful tool I can use.

First I got Kushida and now it was time to put Nagumo under my control.