28. The Devil's Got My Number

Start from the beginning

"It's a long story," Gerard explained. He didn't elaborate any further.

"I've got time, I'd love to hear it," Bert insisted. Gerard grit his teeth, gently touching Bert's elbow. He tugged on the other vampire's sleeve slightly, guiding him out of the room.

"I think it's best that you leave Frank and I now," He said. "Do you have somewhere to go? What are you doing in Jersey at this time of year?"

Gerard was pretty sure that Bert had obviously made the trip to come see him specifically, and his hunch was only solidified when Bert didn't say anything. Instead, the other vampire gazed puzzledly in Frank's direction, though he didn't protest when Gerard pulled him back into the main entrance of the house.

"Do you drink from him?" Bert asked, his voice sounding faraway. Gerard eyed him quizzically, his lips curling into a frown. "Can I have a taste?" Bert asked, unashamed.

"Oh my God, are you fucking on one?" Gerard scoffed in disbelief. He wrenched open the front door, marching Bert outside. He paused once Bert was over the threshold, standing on the front steps. "Go away."

"Fine," Bert whined like a child. "I'm going to go feed off someone. Then I might come back."

"Please don't," Gerard said plainly, closing the door in the vampire's face.

Bert hovered under the portico for a minute before disappearing down Gerard's driveway. Gerard leaned against the door after locking it, pressing the heels of his hands into his eye sockets. Frank's head poked out from the doorway to the living room, and Gerard held out his arms for a hug. Frank cuddled up to him, stroking his hair as the vampire calmed down.

"I'm so sorry he bothered us," Gerard sighed. "I haven't seen him in seven years, I don't know what his deal is."

"He's not over you," Frank noted plainly. Gerard nodded, patting Frank's back.

"He's so immature," he mumbled against the boy's hair. "I could feel everything he was feeling; he's just pissed off about the whole situation."

Frank nodded, nuzzling deeper into the vampire's shirt. He kissed Gerard's chest.

"He'll be back again, won't he?" He asked. Gerard bit his lip.

"If he does, he'll be sorry," he grumbled. "But yeah, he probably will be. He's sick in the head. I haven't told you the full story about what he went on to become after we broke off all contact."

"What did he do?" Frank asked worriedly. Gerard took his hand, walking him back to the living room so they could sit by the fire.

"He's just a bit twisted," Gerard explained. "Aggressive towards everyone - vampires and humans. Extra violent when he's drinking from someone, or so I've heard."

Frank shuddered, tucking his feet under his butt and wriggling closer to Gerard on the couch. He rested his head against Gerard's chest, thinking for a moment.

"I might go have a shower and get dressed in proper clothes," Frank mused. "If Bert comes back again, I might just go for a drive until he's gone. I don't really wanna be around him."

Gerard frowned, rubbing Frank's back soothingly.

"I'd rather you be safe here, with me," he tried, but his voice trailed off as he realised what Frank was suggesting. The boy had dreamt about Bert, after all, and Gerard could pick up on the unease that tumbled around in Frank's stomach. His heart battled between the desire to keep Frank close and shield him from harm, and the wish to let him go, granting him the autonomy that he wanted. "Never mind, I understand," he said. Frank nodded, hopping off the couch.