Author's Note

MOROK is a Slavic god of ignorance, error, deceit, and lies. Despite his terrifying reputation, he is also considered a guardian of truth and clarity, hiding the knowledge from the vain and selfish.

The word 'morok' initially referred to fog and shadows, confusing and maddening ideas, and altered states of mind. In Russian, it is synonymous with 'delusion'. In several other Slavic languages, it is a variation of the word 'mrak,' darkness.

DRAMATIS PERSONAE

Dr. Igor Gorenski/Игорь Горенский - the current Curator of the Memory Archive, a neurosurgeon, an artist, and a killer.

Perfume: Inexcusable Evil by Toskovat'

Kazimierz Broniec - Gorenski's secretary, a former Polish officer in the Napoleonic Army.

Perfume: Blue Wood by Mith

Dr. Anna Elżbieta Radziwill - Gorenski's aunt, a biochemist based in London.

Perfume: Knowing by Estée Lauder

Dr. Zora Bukur/Зора Букур - an art historian and an adjunct professor at Princeton.

Perfume: Byzance by Rochas

Rose Kensington - Zora's former student and current protege.

Perfume: Русалка/Rusalka by Brocard

Inspector Tomislav Kesić/Томислав Кесић- a detective in Belgrade who works for Interpol and investigates the murders of prominent scientists.

Perfume: CDMP by Parfimerija SAVA

Lód/Лёд/Led/Ice - Gorenski's cat.