chapter 10

Having finished eating, they stand up to leave

Having finished eating, they stand up to leave. "Are we going by horse?" Zhang Wei inquires.

"I don't mind either," Yueting responds.

"I see. Well, it will be hard going on foot," Zhang Wei remarks as he walks to the stall to get his horse.

"If you say so," Yueting acknowledges.

"Will yo-" Zhang Wei begins speaking before he gets interrupted.

"I will be right back," Yueting assures as she walks away.

Having walked to a small street with no people around, Yueting begins to communicate with the system. "The horse."

⌞System message: You've been getting less talkative by the day.⌝

"Mhm," Yueting acknowledges as she takes the horse's leash and puts it on the horse the system had just spawned. Leading the horse back to Zhang Wei and Meiyang, she announces, "I'm back."

"You have quite a good horse. Are you sure you're not of high status?" Zhang Wei asks.

"No, I'm sure," Yueting replies. Sighing, Zhang Wei mounts his horse, with Meiyang following suit on hers. For some reason, the system provided noble-like materials, making it hard for Yueting to go unnoticed. Following them on her horse, Yueting begins to ponder the demon realm. If their emperor is really that bad, how could she stop him? She had trained in the forbidden method and improved herself, but she still had no thoughts about defeating someone like him. So far, she hadn't defeated anyone strong. Yueting was exceptionally good at ignoring her issues, yet for some reason, she couldn't shake the feeling that even if the Meiyangs were different in every world, there must be something connecting them, something beyond their name.

By now, she even started talking about Meiyang as if it were more than one person, probably because she knew more than one Meiyang. Even if she hadn't traveled through the multiverse for long, she still knew more than one Meiyang. Lifting her head, she saw Meiyang next to her again.

"You seem like someone died. Did something happen?" Meiyang remarks, her tone lacking concern.

Chuckling, Yueting responds, "Are you sure you wanna know? It's not that important," her voice softer than when speaking to other people.

"Tsk, why did I even bother asking you if you're not going to tell me!" Meiyang grumbles in annoyance, though she maintains a look of interest on her face.

"It was my ex-lover's death day not too long ago," Yueting shares, causing both Meiyang and Zhang Wei's faces to pale.

"How can you say that so casually?" Zhang Wei exclaims, clearly shocked.

Yueting wasn't expecting him to listen in on the two of them, but she still calmly responds to his question. "It was only my ex-lover, after all," she remarks, her tone visibly changing. Quickly remembering she was talking to people right now, she begins speaking again, her tone returning to normal. "It's been years since I last met her anyways," Yueting says, trying to change the mood. What she said wasn't true; it had only been a few days since she last saw Meiyang, though it had been years since she saw the real Meiyang.