29

Hani

My feet were begging for a break, but the £20,000 in my apron gave me more than enough energy to face the final hour of my shift.

"Hani!"

I spotted Seoyeon at a table in the corner with biker guys and library board members Taerae and Iseok. Seoyeon had her hair pulled back in a perky ponytail and was wearing cut offs and flip flops. Taerae and Iseok were in their usual uniform of denim.

"Hey!" I greeted them with a spring in my step. "Out on the town?"

"We're celebrating." Seoyeon explained. "The library just got a big, fat grant that I didn't even remember applying for! Not only does that mean we can start offering free community breakfasts and upgrade the second floor computers, I can also officially offer you that part time gig."

"Are you serious?" I asked, elation rising inside me.

"Very serious." Taerae slapped the table.

Seoyeon grinned. "It's yours if you want it."

"I want it!"

The librarian held out her hand. "Welcome to the Riperia Public Library, Miss Community Outreach Coordinator. You officially start next week. Come by this weekend, and we'll tall about your new duties."

I grabbed her hand and shook it. Then I hugged her. Then I hugged Taerae and Iseok.

"Can I buy you beautiful, amazing people a round?" I asked, releasing a dazed looking Iseok.

"A public librarian can't say no to free drinks. It's in the town charter." Seoyeon said.

"Neither can us." Iseok added.

"She's right!" Taerae agreed.

I floated through the crowd on the dance floor and plugged in the order for my new bosses. I was thinking about the car I could now afford and the desk I wanted to buy Mimi for her room, when Minghao appeared.

"I believe you owe me a dance." He said, holding out his hand.

I laughed. "I guess it's the least I can do since you let me win."

"I never let anyone win." He assured me, taking my tray and setting it at a table of patrons who didn't seem to mind.

"That's very mercenary of you." I observed. The band shifted into a slow, twangy tune about lost love.

Minghao pulled me into his arms, and once again, I found myself wondering why Riperia had such a large population of impossibly attractive men. I was also wondering what Minghao's motive was for asking me to dance. He struck me as the type of man who never did anything without an ulterior motive.

"Seungcheol and Jeonghan.." He began.

I congratulated myself on being so astute. "What about them?"

"They're my best friends. Their feud has run its course. I want to make sure it doesn't get stirred back up."

"What does that have to do with me?"

"Everything."

I guffawed right in the man's face. "You think I'm going to reignite some feud that I had nothing to do with in the first place?"

"You're a stunning woman, Hani. More than that, you're interesting, funny and kind. You're worth fighting for."

"Well thank you for your kind but bizarre opinion. But you can rest easy knowing that Seungcheol and I can barely stand being in the same room."