14

The Riperia Public Library was a sanctuary of cool and quiet in the summer swelter. It was a light, bright space with white oak shelves and farm style work tables. Pairs of over stuffed armchairs were clustered by the tall windows.

Just inside the door was a large community bulletin board. Everything from piano lessons to yard sale announcements and charity bike rides dotted the corkboard in evenly spaced increments. Beneath it sat a gray washed table displaying several genres of books from steamy romance to autobiographies to poetry.

Glossy green plants in blue and yellow pots added life on shelves and sunny, flat surfaces. There was a colourful kids section with bright wallpaper and a rainbow of floor cushions. Quiet instrumental music murmered from hidden speakers. It felt more like a high end spa than a public library. I approved.

Behind the long, low circulation desk was a woman who caught the eye. Pale skin. Pink gloss. Long, sleek jet black hair, streaked with hints of blonde.

The only thing that screamed "librarian" about her was the large stack of hardbacks she carried.

"Hey, Mi!" She called. "You got a line already upstairs."

"Thanks, Seoyeon!"

"You have a line for what?" I asked.

"Nothing.." my niece mumbled.

"Tech support." The attractive and surprisingly loud librarian announced. "We get a lot of older folks who don't have access to their own eleven year olds to fix their phones and Kindles and tablets."

I recalled Jennie's comment at dinner the night before. Which made me recall Seungcheol and his abs-

Whoops!

"The computers are over there near the coffee bar and the restrooms, Aunt Hani. I'll be on the second floor if you need anything."

"Coffee bar??" I parroted, trying not to think of my nearly naked next door neighbour.

But my charge was already striding purposefully past the book stacks toward an open staircase in the back.

The librarian tossed me a curious look as she shelved a book. "You're not Chae." She said.

"How'd you know?"

"I've never seen Chae so much as drop Mimi off here, let alone willingly cross the threshold.

"Chae's my sister." I explained.

"I gathered that from the whole you look almost alike thing. How long have you been in town? I can't believe there hasn't been a trail of hot gossip blazed to my doorstep."

"I got in yesterday."

"Ah. My day off. I knew I shouldn't have buried myself in my fourth rewatch of Ted Lasso." She complained to no one. "Anyways, I'm Seoyeon." She juggled novels in order to hold out a hand.

I shook it tentatively, not wanting to dislodge the twenty pounds of literature she still held. "Hani."

"Welcome to Riperia, Hani. Your niece is an angel." It was nice hearing good things about the Lee family around here for a change.

"Thank you. We're, uh, just getting to know each other, but she seems smart and independent."

"Wanna see her in action?" Seoyeon offered.

"I want it even more than a visit to your coffee bar."

Seoyoen's glossy lips curved. "Follow me."

I followed Seoyeon up the open staircase to the second floor, which housed even more book stacks, more seating, more plants, and a few private rooms off to one side.