26

Hani

"Heya, Hani. I've got some good news for you!" Seungkwan said when I rounded behind the counter of Lock's Glass.

"Really? What is it?" I asked.

"You've got a party in the private room starting at 9. High rollers."

I perked up. "High rollers?"

Seungkwan jerked his head towards the hallway. "Poker game. Hush hush. Half a dozen big spenders who feel like throwing away six figures on cards."

"Six...figures?" I blinked. "Is this legal?" I whispered the question despite the fact that we were alone in the empty bar.

The lollipop returned to his mouth. "Weeeelll, let's just say if Chief Yoon wanders his fine ass in here tonight, he doesn't get in that room."

I wasn't sure how I felt about it. As someone who was supposed to be looking good in the eyes of the court, I probably shouldn't be lying to law enforcement about anything.

But I'd cross that bridge when I had to tonight. Feeling happy, I swung into the kitchen to get set up for the busy night.

~~~~~~~

The extent of my professional poker knowledge was entirely based on the snippets of games I'd seen on TV while changing channels. I was pretty sure the players on TV looked nothing like the ones crowded around the round table in Lock's Glass secret back room.

Beneath his blue polo shirt, the Chinese man, Xiaojun, had muscles that looked like he bench pressed cars all day. He had fine white skin, gelled black hair that left a few strands at the front hanging and the kind of smile that made a woman's knees go weak. He was wearing a wedding ring with a whole lot of diamonds.

On Xiaojun's right was Taemin. He had blonde hair that looked like a woman's hair had just left it. He wore the typical commuter uniform of expensive fitted trousers, rolled up shirt sleeves and a loosened tie. No wedding ring, and he'd made certain I'd noticed with every top shelf scotch I brought him. He fidgeted constantly and jumped every time the door opened.

On Taemin's right was a man the rest referred to as Demos, though I doubted his parents had actually named him that. He looked like he'd walked right off the pages of a wattpad novel. He kept his sunglasses and scowl firmly in place as he lounged in his chair, sticking to club sodas.

Next to Demos was Lisa, the only woman at the table. She was tall and had dirty blonde hair with bangs at the front. Her make up was big and bold, just like her laugh, which she was sharing with the man next to her.

"Hao, Hao, Hao." She said. "When are you gonna learn not to bluff me?"

Minghao was the kind of handsome that made women wonder if he'd made some pact with the devil. Dark, grey mullet, dark, siren eyes. Dark suit. He gave off hints of power, wealth, and secrets like a cologne.

He'd arrived later than everyone else, shedding his jacket and rolling up his sleeves as if he had all the time in the world. He took his bourbon neat and didn't try to look down my shirt when I served it.

"Maybe when you stop distracting me with your wit and beauty." He teased.

"Please." Lisa scoffed, elegantly stacking her winnings with long red fingernails.

I was in the middle of trying to figure out how much one chip was worth and topping off the pitcher of ice water in the corner when the door burst open.