Chapter 10 | So...you and Duke went on a date, huh?

Sterling

Thanksgiving is something Patty and I always celebrated in a very untraditional way. Patty goes to the Thai place down the street from us and orders practically everything off the menu. After a couple years, we realized we can't confine ourselves to just one option. Plus, we have leftovers for days because of it. Then we cuddle up on her couch, Capri included, and watch all of the Twilight movies in order. We both hate them but we love making fun of them.

However, this year, Patty decided she needed to be more generous than usual. As if she's not generous enough when it comes to me. When she found out Xavier wasn't going home to his family for Thanksgiving and that Rebecca was here with no family, she had to invite them over. No matter how much I protested, she insisted even more. It's like she's conspiring against me.

Patty insisted that we must do it traditionally. That meant slaving away in the kitchen for hours on end eating mediocre food that contained little to no flavor, including a turkey that would most likely be drier than the Sahara Desert. No, I'm not being dramatic. I guess the one thing I have to look forward to is Patty's apple pie. She makes really good apple pie but everytime I ask, she says no. I think it's safe to say that all in all, I hate Thanksgiving.

Now, I'm in this kitchen dressed in a puffy sleeved shirt paired with black leather pants and heels mashing these mashed potatoes and trying my best not to get my hair in it.

"Those look bland," Patty mutters over my shoulder. I roll my eyes since I know she can't possibly see me.

"They're also not done."

"You're taking an awfully long time," she informs me. I didn't think it had been that long. Maybe it has been. Who knows. I guess Patty did.

"Can you butt out?" I ask her with more sass than necessary. I hate when she breathes down my neck.

"Whatever, I am going to change. Answer the door when they get here, little miss!" she calls as she disappears from the room.

After a few more minutes, I finally finish the potatoes after some butter and seasonings. I'm not a five star world renowned chef or anything, but my cooking capabilities are not limited. I set them down on the table and brush my hands off with the towel. I already set the table earlier in the day. I've never had to set it for more than just me and Patty before so it's odd seeing two extra plates.

There's is a knock at the door that pulls me out of my trance of looking at the decorated table. I walk over, my heels echoing in clicks behind me. I unlock it and pull it open to reveal not only Rebecca and Xavier, but also Carson, Andy, and Duke.

I look between all of them confused out of my mind before my eyes finally settle on Xavier, silently prying him for an explanation.

"They couldn't get a flight out to Portland. You know, the storm." Xavier mentions referencing the snowstorm that hit last night. I had to stay extra long after I was supposed to get off at the hospital because of how many accidents were happening on the roads. That, and it being a holiday did not help.

Xavier continues. "I hope it's not a problem that they're here. They asked if they could join me but I didn't want to cancel on you and Patty"

I eye Duke, who I've barely spoken to since our date, adn then revert back to Xavier, still not saying a word.

"If it persuades you anymore to let us in, you look finer than wine, Sterling," Carson jokes with a stupid grin on his face.

I can't help but smile at his comment. "I'm sure Patty won't mind. I just have to put down a few more place settings. There's more than enough food."