Chapter Five | Throwing green beans at distasteful individuals

Sterling

"I don't like rosé Star," Patty complains as she bustles down the hallway beside me.

"It's not even bad, Pat." I roll my eyes at her whining. "You're gonna try it."

"Sterling. Patty," Xavier's voice floats into my ears and startles me. I look up from holding my bags and find standing in front of me in a tight black shirt and loose old gray sweats. He has slippers on and his hands are shoved in his pockets.

This hallway has become incredibly busy as of late.

"Why, Mr. Gonzales! What are you up to tonight?" Patty asks.

No. No no no no no. I swear if she invites him to our wine night...

"I was just grabbing my mail. I was thinking of ordering some take-out," he explains to her with a smile. That stupid smile.

She waves him off as if his last statement meant nothing. "Nonsense. Join us. I have plenty of food and snacks. Plus we have wine."

I widen my eyes at her and she smacks my head.

"I don't want to intrude. It's okay, really." he insists, holding his hands up.

God, I hate life.

I sigh. Loudly. "It's fine. We insist."

He raises an eyebrow and smirks at me. "We?"

I roll my eyes. Don't flatter yourself, pretty boy.

"Well stop all this standing around. Get in here!" Patty holds the door open. I walk into her apartment and place the bags from the store down. I sit in my usual spot, suddenly feeling my personal life invaded.

Looking over at Xavier, I can tell he seems out of his element but is trying to play it off like it's nothing. He should not be here, especially in this apartment. This is my safe space. Now he's just...here. Patty asks if he wants to help with dinner and he happily agrees. He looks like he can cook. If that makes sense. He just seems like he does.

Watching Patty boss Xavier around her kitchen is quite humorous. A small woman like Patty commanding a 6'4" man around is a sight to see. Every now and then, Xavier glances at me with a nervous look almost to say "she's scaring me". I chuckle quietly and he rolls his eyes. This almost feels natural. Aside from the fact that I still hardly know him, here he is. In my life in a way. I don't think I like that.

"After a relentless amount of bossing him around, here is dinner my dear," she says, placing a plate in front of me filled with chicken, veggies, and mashed potatoes.

"I knew what I was doing," Xavier defends, sitting down at the stool next to me.

"No, you didn't," Patty and I say in unison. She winks at me and I giggle.

"Well, Mr. Gonzales, what do you do for work?" Patty knows what he does. I told her two days ago after I went to his apartment.

"I'm the CEO of a tech company," he answers with a smile.

"CEO?" she asks. "What is a hotshot CEO doing living in a small building like this? Shouldn't you be living large in a penthouse?"

He chuckles. "I like to live a simplistic life. Use my money for things that matter."

"Like what?" Patty is always nosy.

"I'm an anonymous donor for a foster care charity. It's called More Than a Home. Most of my paycheck goes there. I just get what I need to be just a tad bit more than comfortable," Xavier explains.