Chapter 5: On the Roads

The place where I once ruled is not mine anymore. I have nowhere to go. When I smile hard, he made me cry hard. I can't live a life without money, now I feel plainness to hold it in my hand. It's dark now, where to stay? I was puzzled. I have 10,000 Won in my purse after paying the taxi. I will get mom's money only in the morning. I can't ask for help from anyone because I don't have any friends. But I had one person who I could ask, and that was Si Woo. So, I decided to call him. I felt uncomfortable, but I don't have any way. He picked up the call, and without asking anything, he said, "Come over, my boy." That "my boy" reminded me of my father, which made me feel safe. I went to his house and slept on the couch as I was so tired. I woke up early in the morning; he was sleeping, so I didn't want to disturb him. So, I wrote a thank-you letter and came out with my suitcases. It was 8 am; I was waiting for that Wooni Bank to open. I was at the doorsteps, leaning my head on the bank's door when my grandmother, that's my mother's mom, came to me. I saw her eyes with tears; she hugged me and said, "Magical Miseries are vain so don't expect it." She hopped to the door with her cane. We went in, signed, and my mom had 6,500,000 Won in her account. But that is not enough because I had to pay my school fees. And Grandmother asked me to come to her village in Busan. I said that I will come by next month as I need to get the transfer certificate from the school. I still need to make money. Then my eyes sighted on to the suitcases, which had branded clothes and watches which were new. So, I had the bills on my mobile, and I took a bus to the fashion downtown mall and went to every brand outlet begging them to give a refund. I never expected such a situation that I had to throw my own clothes for money. You guys might think that I was mentioning accurate brands that I wore to the party; I remember because it was the last time. So, I remember it accurately. And I sold all my used clothes in a rental shop. Finally, Now I have 85,000,000 won, which is enough to manage my living. But I can't afford a good rental place and chose a very cheap hostel where they won't ask many personal details. I found a cheap place. I stayed there; I had no food except a loaf of bread which I brought this morning. I wished to go to my grandmother's place as soon as possible. I turned my location off, and I have encrypted my phone so that none can trace me. The other side there was a huge, confused discussion; they wanted to beat me to a pulp. And uncle Jin Ho said that I requested a transfer certificate. My grandfather requested them to let me live my life. During that time, I had to work, so I opted for a part-time job at Jack's Shakes in the morning, and I had to help in cookery in a government cafeteria. In the night, I must clean the streets of the road of VIP colony. I don't know how destiny pulled me to the streets. I got a text message from my dear cousin Lee Sara, who is studying in the USA. She texted that she would come tomorrow, and she wanted to meet me. So, she asked me to wait in the café near my school. And I also wanted to meet her because she is the only person I believe in the Lee Family who took the utmost care when I was alone or hurt. So, I went to see her. And while I entered the shop, it was her; she always looks so bright and pretty. Her smile gives us a pleasant vibe. But her mood was not like before. I had a feeling that someone is following me while I was sitting on the chair, she gave a glare. I came to shake hands, and she was scanning me. She noticed that my lips were dreadfully dried and pimples all around my face and tanned skin. She was not ready to shake hands and speak to me. She saw me as trash and wiped her nose several times. She felt like I am a shit. She said one thing which still pricks me a lot, and that was I have always kept circumstances level to level but today I see someone so down with her lips out. Seeing this a causal conversation here came Si Woo. When he saw her, his eyes changed, and he was blaring that it showed he wanted to speak with her. But she gave a glare and took her way off. But hid my pain and saw him. He is the only source of light I have so I wanted to do something to him. So, I took him out to a milkshake shop, and I tried to make me smile but still he couldn't. He bought me an ice cream. It was already 7, and by 7:30, I need to be on my shift. So, I saw him and said, "Mr. Janus, this would be our last meeting. Do remember me!" He was not ready to accept, just hugged and tapped my head and asked what about your future, and I said going to stay in grandmother's place for the rest of my life. Then we went apart. Days passed, I was accustomed to the dirty bathing water and unhygienic toilets. Frozen food was dessert to me. Jeans were a dream, and self-care is now a faded child. My face was horrible. My hands were rough, and my legs started to develop cracks. I was merely dead of this routine. When my classmates enter that big school, I was walking by the roadside for work. I couldn't see my father's or mother's graveyard because I don't know where they are buried, and no one is there to show where it is located. It was afternoon 2:30 I packed my suitcase with essentials and ready to board in for my 3:30 train. I got a call from my grandmother; she said, "Don't come and just go die somewhere." I can't say anything my throat started burning and I couldn't swallow my saliva. And that evil witch spoke, "It's a long time, son, and you might have hide, but your plans are bannered; you must have hidden from my dear Sara." Then she kept the call off. I was like how Sara knew this. Then popped the eyes of Si Woo came. Sara asked him out and asked about my plans, and he also opened about my plans. I can't walk or speak but betrayal became the meal that I eat every day. But Si Woo is out of the league. I got to get my certificate from the school office. I controlled myself, and I went to the office. I got my certificate, and I was getting down; Si Woo saw me and shouted at me to get into the class for a moment. I went in controlling my anger. He smiled, and his smile was irritating at that time and asked if he could get Sara's number. I got furious. I slapped him so hard that he fell on the teacher's desk, and I grabbed his shirt, saying, "Don't use me for your love!" I shouted that he didn't understand my situation. I left my school, walking on the streets where I had no one, literally no one for me.