Chapter 4: Why Me?

DISCLAIMER: Content warning – this post discusses suicidal feelings

I had a bad intuition, and the guards hurriedly brought me to the house. I remember the fragrance, the soft glaze of red roses, and the smell of incense sticks, with everyone dressed in black. I was out of sorts as I entered hastily, only to find my dad lying dead. My eyes widened in shock, and darkness seemed to envelop me as I paced back and forth. All his last words flooded my mind, and my hands trembled uncontrollably. I began shouting his name, pleading for him to take me. My mom couldn't speak; she was shocked, and she came near me, slapping me, repeating that he was waiting for me, wondering why I hadn't answered. She insisted he had been waiting. Neither of us could accept his death. He was our light, and we relied on him. I used to speak with him often, and now I sat nearby, urging him to wake up, to no avail. I found it hard to breathe; it was an exhausting feeling, as if I were locked in a small pit. Faces blurred, and I fainted. Upon waking, my aunt instructed me to carry his photo and get into the car. I don't know how I changed into mourning attire. We circled the office, retracing his final steps. My mom remained in deep shock, unable to come back from the loss. I was puzzled about his death. At that moment, Dr. Ha called my mom, and I answered. He expressed his condolences and explained that my father had succumbed to Mycobacterium tuberculosis, which had unexpectedly worsened, ultimately leading to his demise. Every single person left, except Aunt Ari, who was visibly distraught. I asked if she would leave, but she gave a different answer, stating, "How can I leave my place, Ju?". I returned to sleep, and my mom cuddled me before leaving, repeatedly saying his name. The next morning, Aunt Ari packed her things to leave with her son, Gu Won. I asked her why she threw a bunch of documents at me. I read the first page, and it was the transfer of all my dad's assets into her name. She proclaimed that I was the new ruler of Lee Groups, and the house was hers, so we should be grateful. I was not ready to accept it, but it was the harsh reality. My mom came down, snatched the sheets from my hand, and kept rereading them, unable to believe what my dad had done. She asked me to call the lawyer, who confirmed that my dad had indeed transferred the titles to Aunt Ari. My mom and I, who were once the pillars of this house, became nothing. I went up with her and asked what he left for us. She showed me my branded clothes and shoes, meant for the best fit for his son. She always used to say that, but now it all seemed useless. Aunt Ari's attitude changed, as she accused my mom of being worthless in caring for her son, suggesting that my dad had transferred all his assets to her out of distrust. Exhausted by the constant shocks, my mom retreated to a corner. In the moonlight, she called me, stating that I may not have been worthy enough to earn, but she had earned something precious. She had saved her dance earnings in my name, instructing me to retrieve them from her room, in the side table, with the code two eight zero two, our marriage date. With a pause, she said, "Take care," and abruptly jumped out of the window while dancing. Watching her, my legs began to sweat, causing me to slide and fall. I lost my footing and fell to the back of the room, still haunted by the sight of her jumping. Those present blamed me, but they dropped the idea, knowing about the security cameras but not the password. I remained still as a statue, fixated on the window. They urged to hasten the process and showed no inclination for a funeral. I lacked the energy to argue and doubted Aunt Ari would wish for a funeral by her own traitorous actions. Three days passed; they all returned to normal, but I was the one left with rashes and deep cuts. Tonight, that wicked witch is hosting a family party. I was made to serve the evil family, who sat at the table where we once shared joyous moments. The house, once a home under my father's rule, felt foreign. Aunt Ari intentionally invoked my mom's name, labeling her an evil, money-minded woman who lusted after our family. I clenched my teeth as she further accused my mom of seducing my dad and attempting to rule over us, a claim I vehemently opposed. The entire clan toasted with champagne, laughing and shouting. With tears in my eyes, I ascended the stairs, catching sight of my reflection in the mirror and recalling the wisdom of my parents. After a deep breath, I packed my belongings into eight suitcases, taking my handbag, a promise to my father. After washing my face, I called a taxi. With the help of a trusted helper, I discreetly transferred my possessions through the window. It was time for a showdown. I walked downstairs, dressed in branded attire, with an air of confidence. With an attitude of defiance, I threw the gifts given to me with extreme anger on the dining table, shattering ceramic pots and champagne glasses. Aunt Ari shouted, and I approached her, declaring that I had a return gift for her, a tight slap that empowered my resolve. I walked out of the house, turning to see their shocked faces, especially those of my grandparents, who were once close but now indifferent. With a final glare, I departed. Outside, workers removed the largest portrait of my father, and my uncle commented, suggesting I would be next. They expected to see me break, but as I looked at his portrait, my eyes welled with tears, not of sorrow, but of pain. Grabbing a candle holder, I hurled it at his portrait, screaming, "I HAVE NEVER SEEN A FOOL LIKE YOU, LEE GU JIN," before leaving the house.