Chapter 3: When You Spy

My parents called me for dinner, and I went down to join them. Haepi sniffed me and then returned to dig into his own food. The five of us, including my grandparents, sat down and began our meal. Suddenly, my Aunt Ari came running, expressing her hatred for her life and her need for a divorce from her abusive husband. I was shocked by her sudden announcement, especially considering she had just received some legal documents. My father acted quickly, calming her down and offering her water. I was left feeling confused about what to do, so I retreated upstairs and started listening to some music .I had a feeling that my dad might have a conversation with her, so I peeked downstairs and, as expected, they were engaged in a discussion. However, their expressions were completely different from what I had anticipated. They seemed to be having a pleasant conversation over tea. Seizing the moment, I grabbed my phone and connected my AirPods. I discreetly tossed my phone under the tea table and left the room to eavesdrop on their conversation. My father expressed his disbelief at the situation, saying he couldn't accept that his brother was so young and questioning what they would do. He reassured my aunt that she didn't need to go through with the divorce just for her son's sake. My heart ached for her and her young son, who would now grow up without his father. I couldn't help but wonder if there were any bad influences that might try to take advantage of the situation. Craving some ice cream, I grabbed my favorite tub of cookies and cream and headed to the terrace. With my headphones on, enjoying my favorite song and sharing my ice cream with Haepi, I felt content. Suddenly, I received a text from Mr. Janus, asking if everything was in order. I replied affirmatively, and he requested that I bring him a letter. Though I wasn't entirely comfortable with the request, I agreed to do it. The next morning, I handed over the letter to Mr. Janus, who confirmed its authenticity by smelling it. He explained that it was a rare Khaza-type letter, readable only three times before the text faded due to a Saint solution. By the time I gave it to him, it had already been read three times by my father, aunt, and me. Mr. Janus offered to treat me to ice cream as a token of appreciation for my help, but I had to decline due to a prior commitment. That day, my uncle, the school owner, threw a lavish party for his 47th birthday. After preparing myself, I arrived at the party with my family, where we were greeted by the media. Amidst the festivities, my cousin's wife made a disparaging remark about my intelligence, insinuating that I lacked brains. In response, I firmly reminded her to mind her words, but she only elicited laughter from her friends. When she complained to my father, he unexpectedly slapped me, leaving me stunned and hurt. Feeling utterly dejected, I fled to the backyard and wept by the fountain. It was the first time my parents had ever raised a hand against me, and the pain was raw. In my despair, I was approached by Mr. Janus, who had witnessed the incident. He comforted me with a metaphor about resilience, comparing me to the river that shines even in the darkest of times. His words brought a rare moment of levity, and I found myself laughing through tears. Returning to the party, my father embraced me and offered words of encouragement, reaffirming his support for me. Exhausted, I followed his instructions and left with my family. The following morning, as I attended my physics class, I received a call from my dad, urging me to record the conversation. He ended the call with a heartfelt message, leaving me both puzzled and concerned about his well-being. As the day progressed, my worries intensified when my mom's incessant calls were interrupted by urgent messages from my dad's security team. Dread consumed me as I prayed that the worst wouldn't come to pass.