Six

Catalina 

As the day came to a close, I found myself preparing to go home

As the day came to a close, I found myself preparing to go home. Aaron had briefed me on the details of the case that we will be working on and I couldn't shake off the feeling that it was a test of my capabilities. The answer seemed straightforward to me, and I couldn't understand why anyone would let it go to trial. Determined to prove my point, I planned on studying it further tonight to ensure that I was right. If I was, then I would present my Motion to Vacate first thing in the morning. It was a risky move, but I wasn't here to waste my time with a case as trivial as this one. However, it was frustrating to think that I was being tested. I tried not to take it personally, but being a woman in a male-dominated field, I had to deal with a lot of unfair treatment. I just hoped that everyone had been given a similar test for their first case.

Thankfully, I don't run into anyone as I reach my car. I notice that Ian's and Axel's cars are still parked in their designated spots. Guess it will be a late night for them. I honestly cannot wait for that.. I love throwing myself into my work.  Bryan always hates when I get engrossed in a case and I understand why he feels that way but I also wish he was more supportive. He knows how much I love my job and yet he always manages to make me feel bad about it. 

As I think back to the time when I graduated from law school, I cannot help but feel a mix of emotions. On one hand, I remember feeling extremely happy and excited to start a new chapter in my life. However, on the other hand, I was also grappling with the weight of having to prove to myself and others that taking on a significant amount of debt for my career was worth it. 

Ever since I graduated, I have been working my ass off to build my career. However, despite my successes, I can't help but sense that Bryan harbors some resentment towards my achievements and what it took me to get here. It feels like we have been slowly drifting apart, and our relationship has become strained. 

There was a time when the different paths we were taking in life used to bother me. But now, I feel like we are just going through the motions. While our friendship and love for each other will never die, the romantic spark between us seems to have fizzled out, and our relationship now feels more platonic than anything else.

Our relationship is complicated. I don't know how to define it anymore. I was surprised when he agreed to come with me to the city since I thought it would be the end of our relationship. I asked him if he thought it was a good idea to come with me, and he replied that he wanted to experience city life too. I was hesitant at first, but I couldn't deny him the opportunity.

As I sit lost in my own thoughts, trying to make sense of the jumble in my head, the sudden sound of my phone ringing startles me. I glance at the caller ID and a smile spreads across my face; it's the name I've been waiting to for days. It's my favorite person, the one who always knows what to say to brighten my mood and make my day better. 

"Jesus Jess, about damn time you call me!" I joke, genuinely missing the sound of my best friend's voice. I missed her so much. It was the only downfall of leaving that miserable place behind.