Four

Axel Sinclair 

"You know what this means to us and our family name son, I know I am asking a lot but this is important

"You know what this means to us and our family name son, I know I am asking a lot but this is important." he gives me a stern look, the one he always gives me to let me know that he is serious. "The merging of two powerful families and businesses is everything we have ever worked for and more." 

As I stand by the window, gazing out at the sprawling city below, my father continues dragging on. This topic has become an all-too-familiar occurrence in our discussions over the past few months, and it's starting to get on my nerves. I'm not one to hold out for love or anything, but the thought of having my life dictated by someone else does not sit well with me. I'm not a member of any royal family, and we don't live in an era where arranged marriages are the norm. Despite my objections, my father persists, going on about how perfect Selene would be for me and how much I would enjoy meeting her. As he drones on, I glance at my watch and realize that, once again, I'm running late for an appointment.

"Enough father," I grab my suit jacket from my chair and I shrug it on. "We can continue this discussion another time, I am late for a meeting with my partner, he has found us a promising new hire." 

"Of course son, I don't mean to keep you. Let's meet for dinner this evening at Gianni's around 7?" I nod my head and with that, he stands and heads for the door. Just as he reaches for the handle he turns back to face me, "You know the pressure I am under to make this happen, I expect an answer tonight." he gives me an expectant look as he turns and leaves. I run a hand down my face releasing a heavy sigh as I call down to my driver. 

The drive is quick, I made sure that was the case when I first purchased the condo. Living in downtown LA has its perks and downfalls. The quick commute to and from work is probably the biggest perk at the moment, and it is one of the only parts of my life that is easy.  

My mind is consumed with thoughts of my next move. I can feel the weight of the decision that I must make, as my father needs an answer tonight. Despite the gravity of the situation, I can't help but feel that I'm being forced into a corner with no other options. I wish that I had more time to think things through, but the reality is that time is a luxury I can't afford right now. 

I take a moment to reflect on all that I've accomplished so far. My business partner Ian and I have built Thompson & Sinclair from the ground up after finishing law school at Yale. We've made a name for ourselves in the industry.

I know that my family's business dealings are a completely different world. As my father's sole heir, it's 'my duty' to uphold the family name and ensure that our legacy continues. I roll my eyes at the thought. My father has always been a successful man, especially in business but he also comes from generations of oil tycoons. He never had to work hard for anything, he was born into his wealth and name. The one time that I actually appreciated that privilege was when I was looking into law schools, Ivy League schools eat that shit up. I had my pick of whichever one I wanted simply because of my last name. Not that I didn't earn that spot at Yale, I worked my ass off and graduated Cum Laude. It was not easy.