42- Recognize

The room is stifling, its silence oppressive. I wish it were a dream, but the throbbing pain in my face confirms otherwise. My swollen cheek protests as I touch it, and when I glance down, I see heavy chains binding both my feet. Movement is a struggle; the weight of the chains anchors me.

Just what I needed.

Lavyrle must be behind this. Cecile and I underestimated him. He wants me far away from his precious daughter, ensuring neither of us reveals the other's existence.

"It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be," his voice emerges from the shadows. I survey the cramped room, claustrophobia clawing at my chest.

"Cecile, if you don't help me now, I'll find a way to remove you from my head. You'll regret it," I address her.

"And you said you didn't want me," she whispers.

"We're kidnapped, in case you haven't noticed. Now isn't the time." 

She sighs. "Don't fear this maniac."

"Easier said than done."

"Do you want my help or not?"

"Would've been more useful earlier. Can't you conjure spells now or something?"

"We need to determine our location before devising a plan," she sounds bored.

He interrupts our conversation, and my anger flares. "You've landed me in a world of trouble."

"Why am I here?" I lift my foot, displaying the chain. Cecile has taken over my voice.

"Braver now, huh?"

"Less foolish, you mean. You caught me off guard. I was more surprised to see you." Cecile's audacity shines through; I envy her boldness.

He steps away, vexed. "Your luck will run out eventually."

"Of course it will. So will my patience. And then I'll end you."

He laughs, but this time, I'm not petrified. "You couldn't do it before. What makes you think you can now?"

I grin. "Don't drop your guard, rogue. When I escape, I'll come for you."

He rolls his eyes, tossing me a piece of bread before departing.

"Watch your back!" I say.

"Left you some toys to play with."

The room is shrouded in darkness, the air thick with foreboding. The clicks of locks echo, and I wonder why he's so cautious. What does he fear?

"Toys?" My eyes adjust, and I stumble backward, collapsing onto the floor. Skeletons line both walls—remnants of a family, their bony forms reclined. One set of bones appears recent, and my scream is stifled by my hand.

The day drags on, light barely penetrating the room. I lose track of time, my meals scarce. The skeletons haunt my waking hours, making sleep impossible. When he visits, my face no longer throbs from his blows.

Cecile bickers with me, her presence a lifeline. We try to discern our location, but the wall's sole opening reveals nothing. Trees and dead grass surround us.

Cecile tests her powers, but the chain thwarts her. She can't roam freely within me. So we wait.

They can't know what I am. This must be precaution.

The wooden door creaks open, revealing a girl with short black hair as her eyes and dirt-stained fingers. Rain falls outside, and the walls muffle the sounds.