41- Restless

While heading to the garden for a breath of fresh air, I encounter Lavyrle. The flower on my hand shrivels into ash too quickly, leaving me immobile.

His typical anger radiates from Lavyrle as he addresses me, "Leizabeth, what brings you here?"

Feeling trapped, I reluctantly reply, "I have no choice." The memory of our last encounter looms over me.

With a bored expression, he mocks, "Restless? Enjoying your final days?"

I respond bluntly, "Something like that."

Jesting at my failure to find the supposed traitor to the throne, he continues, "Hart's death proves he was no traitor."

Determined not to show weakness, I meet his gaze as he blocks my way. I cannot let him see my fear, knowing how little the council would care if I die at the hands of this monster.

Refusing to back down, I challenge, "Don't celebrate too soon. I know the truth about you, and even if I perish, your secrets will be revealed."

Mocking my attempt at bravery, he questions, "And what evidence do you have against me?"

"I don't think you're supposed to steal Hart's letter. Why kill him? It may have paved a path to the throne for you, but it won't be that simple. Not while I'm alive. And might I add, you really need to pick better locations for clandestine meetings. Your movements are far too conspicuous." I recoil slightly, realizing my mistake. He will surely notice the missing papers and come for Anastasia.

His hiss and bared teeth indicate his anger at being caught. "And you think that lying about your identity will save you? I can put your name and your lineage to shame."

My anger flares at his taunts. "You don't know anything about me."

Lavyrle smirks, revealing his resentment towards me. "That your coven was terminated after a witch created a superfetation? I'm glad they were killed before it got worse."

Hope blooms within me. If they don't know the truth—that I am the offspring of that ill-fated witch—then I'm safe. Despite his threats, I maintain my resolve. "I may be whatever you think, but I am not weak. Trust me, you won't want to play my game."

Lavyrle cackles, warning me not to get in his way. But his words only fuel my determination. "It wouldn't bother me, Lavyrle. Maybe I should start with Stefani and then end it with you."

Stefani's name hits a nerve, causing Lavyrle to challenge me. Threatening her feels cruel, but I'm done being merciful. "Stefani has nothing to do with this, you witch."

"Neither does my lineage." I walk past him confidently, knowing I hold power in this situation.  As I enter the castle, doubts linger, especially the voice of Cecile in my head pleading to be set free.

"You can't do that," I say.

"Do what?" Cecile inquires innocently.

"Threatening everyone," I reply.

"Lavyrle isn't everyone. He is someone who needs to be put in place. You are being stubborn; let me out."

"Now I'll have to sleep with one eye open. You are not welcome anywhere in my head."

"Don't be dramatic. He won't make any move unless he sees that you start the war first."

"We just threatened his only family. I am pretty sure he won't let this one slide."

"He won't have time to put it into action. We will not be the ones to die, so it is better if we exchange his life for yours. I am sure your life is brighter than his."

"He is a menace," I reason with her. She is right. He has killed so many people, and I wonder how many more there are without being registered. I cringe. How am I agreeing with her? No.

"Of course he is."

"But if Stefani knows it is me who puts him to death, she'll do the same thing to me. Now get out of my head. I promise I'll find ways to get you out myself."

She is easily angered because she lights my hand with fire. I let out a scream, making it stop.

I can't bring myself to calm down. I don't notice when Himley comes into the room.