22. Isaac

Since our dinner with Sam and the others three days ago, Ezra has been quiet and just not bothering me with her clingy and worrying too much self. For some reason, that's bothering me more than it should. I mean I should be relieved that she's not asking me any questions about the dinner and isn't roaming around me like I'm a baby who needs protection 24/7 but I just feel weird about her silence.

She hadn't woken up yet so I decided to make breakfast for her, why? Not sure either. I just feel like I have to provide any misunderstandings with her, I can't let anything bad happen between us before I've gathered my memories back and also... this can't end like Myleene and I had ended up.

(flashbacks)

Everyone cheered, applauded the girl I call mine while I smiled the biggest, proud how she nailed the game and so in love it's physically painful to just keep watching while she received the gold medal. 

Myleene outshone everyone in the competition and my girl deserves all the flowers I bought for her today. I stood with an excited expression before opening the door to her dressing room. I was about to shout a big exciting 'surprise' to her when my heart dropped to my feet at the sight of her kissing a guy I don't recognise.

The colour drained from my face along with my smile and my hands went weak on the bouquet I had been holding. I could see how passionate the kiss between them is and how they've lost themselves into each other like they can't get enough. I could see their hands moving all over the place, their hands gripping each other like they're the last hope of survival, their eyes looking at each other like nothing else mattered and I can't breathe. I might've lost the ability to walk, talk or do anything except hear the cracks of my breaking heart.

I had thought watching my parents leave me at home to the nannies every time was painful enough but this, this is just another level. I could feel my insides burning as they continued their little session and my eyes welled with tears. She hadn't just broken my heart but the promises we made to each other, the plans we made for the future we're not going to have now.

As I stood there, frozen in disbelief, my heart shattered into a million irreparable pieces. The sight before me was like a dagger to the soul. Her lips, which once whispered promises of love and devotion, now pressed against another's with an intimacy that felt like betrayal. Every tender moment we shared flashed before my eyes, now tainted with the bitter realisation of her deceit. It was as though the world had come crashing down around me, leaving me gasping for air in a suffocating sea of agony. In that moment, I realised that the love I had held so dear was nothing but a cruel illusion.

"Oh my god- Isaac- what are you-"  she gasped after pushing the man away like it's going to change the fact she's just broken my heart completely. The man stared at her then at me with a startled expression. I decided to ignore the burning ache in my chest that was slowly consuming me and spoke to her, "on our anniversary?" My tone was distant and indifferent and she shook her head rapidly. "No no no- please- let me expla-" I cut her off again with the bouquet I was holding in my hands. "Congrats anyways"

The memories dug another hole in my chest as I thought about the times I'd spent agonising over the way Myleene and I had ended. It left me with an unsettling sensation in my chest as I thought about the possibility of Ezra leaving or having the impression of something I would probably not like to think of. I may not remember what I've shared with her but I can see the worry and longing her eyes hold every time I look at her like she's hoping my memories would've spawned back and I'd hold her now but all I gave her was a harder time and ignorance.

I unknowingly smiled at the sight of the freshly cooked breakfast and the thought of my wife smiling at my gesture.

I was about to knock when she opened the door and revealed the sight of her messy hair and still sleepy face that made my stomach fill up with butterflies. What the hell. I pushed the thoughts away and extended my hands towards her and she took the tray from me silently. The silence that'd been bothering me since a few days ago. I frowned at her simple 'thank you'.

"Is everything okay?" I finally found the courage to ask and she raised her eyebrows at me like I'm stupid for even having to ask about it, well yes wifey, surprise surprise I am in fact stupid enough.  "All good" she said simply like she hadn't been distant these three days, it made me more restless because I had to know and make things right with her. "I know it's not, stop avoiding me" I took a step closer, wanting to see her reaction and to my surprise she only cleared her throat and ate the slice of the toast I made for him.

"I thought you wanted me to quit bothering you all the time" She reasoned and to be honest, I did feel a small sting in my heart by the way her voice sounded so empty right now. I decided to insist.
"We both know that's not why you're acting this way" I frowned and placed my hand on hers, soothingly rubbing my thumb over it. "Please tell me" I could see her cold edges melting in my desperation. I'm not sure why am I so uneasy with her silence but I am, perhaps because I've gotten used to her clinginess and talkative behaviour.
"Who was Myleene? She looked at you like you were supposed to be sitting with her and not me" Her voice shook and so did my breath. I can't bear the fact that it'd hurt like that but I can't complain either. I sighed and closed my eyes before letting her know, "she's my only ex, the girl I dated in college" I confessed and her brows furrowed. "And she's still in contact with you?" Just by her voice and expression, I could tell that Myleene isn't the sole reason behind her distance.

"No no, absolutely not" I shook my head and there was a hint of doubt in her eyes yet she didn't question me. I pulled my hand back and looked down when she got up, ready to leave. God why is she so pissed.