The Colors

Steven

I walked back home feeling a little uneasy. Alpha Wyatt would be going back to his room soon to be with Luna, but Anthony's not being home all night made me nervous. The attacks had stopped, but we didn't know why, so it wasn't as reassuring as it would otherwise be. I'd have to ensure I was back early to guard her until Anthony returned. But if I abandoned Penny all night, Val would yell at me, so I figured I better go home for a little while.

When I opened my front door, it was quiet. The twins must already be sleeping, which I felt terrible about. I'm sure Penny would give me an earful of how I wouldn't have missed bedtime if we moved into the packhouse. I was almost ready to do it, but not quite. While she and Val were right and the packhouse had safe rooms, it was also a target. So, neither option was completely secure.

Carefully, I closed the door behind me and found my mate asleep on the couch. I smiled at the picture and ran my hand through my hair before going to pick her up.

"Steven?" She mumbled sleepily. "I thought you were on guard."

"Alpha sent me home to ask if you would help with the colors for the alpha meeting. Brought you home a folder."

"Sure. I can do that." I would have to confirm in the morning. She was only half awake right now.

"And he went to bed, so things should be okay," I assured her and kissed her forehead before heading for the stairs.

"That's good. Val looked sad and extremely tired this morning. Don't know why, though." Her arms wrapped around my neck, one hand grazing my marking spot. As always, it turned me on.

"Alpha mentioned that," I told her as we reached our bedroom and laid her down. "She's been sleeping all day. It worries me a little bit."

"Pregnant women do that." Penny's eyes snapped open. "Shit. I wasn't supposed to say anything." A lot of things make sense now. Why she held back in the last attack, why she was so moody, and, of course, why she was so tired.

"I should have put that together." I laughed as I undressed the two of us.

"You should have." Once fully naked, she pulled me down on top of her. "Feel like practicing, Mate?" She pushed her hips up into me, rubbing herself on my hard-on.

"I plan to do more than practice." I sucked on her neck and reached between us to see if she was ready.

"Well, we will see." She pulled me in for a kiss. As I slammed myself into her fully, she gasped, and I was lost in the feeling of what I was doing. I passed out quickly after she was satisfied.

I slept through the night and late into the morning—well past when I should have. If I hadn't, maybe things would have been different. I would have relieved Gavin. I would have noticed that Wyatt decided to go to the training grounds and back to his office instead of his room. We all left her alone when she was the most vulnerable. I could live to be a hundred and never forgive myself for that mistake. None of us would.