"Yes, I just can't believe what's happening right now. I feel like I'm going to wake up and this will all have been a dream. Lincoln, we're mates, chosen or fated, we're in this together now, forever."

I bring her hand up, placing a chaste kiss on her palm, "Forever."

I can't even begin to explain to her how much I understand what she's saying. I've thought about it endlessly over the last few days.

While the food is delicious each course feels like an eternity. Our guests talk and enjoy themselves, in no hurry to get to the next course or move on to the ceremonial parts of the evening.

My parents are seated to her left, which means that my job this evening is to try to block her from invasive personal questions that my mother will be asking.

I never told them about my curse, they don't know the details of our relationship.

"So," my mother takes her hand, "tell me, how did you meet?"

"Oh...I..." Jo looks at me nervously.

"We met here actually, she was coming here to design a music room for me."

"I truly love mate stories," mom gushes and the sweet smile that takes over Jo's face makes me love her even more.

"Me too," her soft voice doesn't let anything slip, "the centerpieces are beautiful, Maggie did a wonderful job," she attempts to distract both my parents and me.

"As long as you like them, I like them," the blush I love so much creeps to her cheeks.

"I'm starting to wish we held the dinner after the ceremonies," she whispers, obviously as eager as I am to move this along. I have to focus my attention on something other than this death crawl passage of time. Every minute feels like an hour. My mother and Jo talk for most of the meal, I can tell that my parents are as captivated by her as I am.

The sigh of relief that passes through her lips as they clear the final plates away makes me smile like a fool. I can feel her impatience as if it was my own, I know she's as excited to get to the next part of the evening as I am.

"Are you ready?" She leans in, her face gently touching my shoulder.

"I've never been more ready."

"While you all head to the lake, we need to go get ready," Nabila moves around us and gently takes Jo's hand.

I bite back a growl. Why are they always taking her away from me?

"See you soon, Alpha," Jo whispers against my ear before kissing my cheek softly. The growl rumbles in my chest, I can't hold it back this time.

She winks at me as she leaves the room and it nearly brings me to my knees.

"Maggie set up a cocktail reception by the lake, you look like you could use a drink," Vic takes me by the shoulders.

"A double, definitely," I groan as we make our way after the guests to the lakeside set up.

"Lincoln! Honestly..." my mother admonishes me and I shrink like a child before heading straight to the small outdoor bar.

With one hour to sunset, I knock back a double shot of whiskey while staring at the decorations. Two rows of five chairs are arranged in a semicircle around an arbor at the front end of the dock.

Everything is simple and elegant. The arbor is decorated with flowers and candles that are starting to glow under the fading light.

My parents quickly find me.

"She seems lovely, son, really. I hope you'll bring her home soon. I would love to have you both, it's been so long since you've been back..."

My father gives me a sympathetic look as my mother starts with her ceaseless crusade to get me to come home.

"I'm sure she would really like that, mom. We'll plan it soon."

"It's been almost seven years since... wait, did you just agree to come?" I watch as both of them go wide-eyed, completely shocked.

"Yes."

"Oh, well, that's fantastic!" Her eyes turn slightly misty and guilt settles in my chest.

I never wanted them to know that I don't have a mate. The shame was too much. Over the years it was easier to distance myself from them. I know it hurt them and I handled it wrong but I didn't know what else to do.

"We'll plan something soon. Jo will want to," I squeeze her hand. Before she can respond she's interrupted by the clinking of a glass.

"Everyone, please, be seated," Luke says before taking his place beside the arbor.

We asked Cam to be the officiant of the Luna ceremony and I will be overseeing the coronation.

I move under the arbor, waiting for her. Maggie and Nabila step out and I hold my breath. When I finally see her the world around us fades away.

"Here comes my girl."

Want more of The Fairytales? Read 5 completed books in this series, plus get access to over 30 adult romance titles on my Patreon (patreon.com/MyrandaRae) !

Updates weekly: Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday

--