Chapter 37: A Party in the Highlands

Trigger warning: 

This chapter contains an attempted sexual assault. Please do not read if this is a topic that may trigger or upset you.

I gaze out the window as the car turns smoothly up a hill, navigating its way up higher and higher through the glen that we're in. I loved that Hogwarts was surrounded by such a magical setting as the Scottish Highlands, every part of it was beautiful. We headed north past Hogsmeade and the North Ford Bog area, into the highlands. The winding road climbs higher and higher through the glen, and I gaze down at the green fields and forest below us. The sat nav says we'll be there soon and I can tell Tom is using every opportunity to go above the speed limit to get there faster.

Tom's hand twitches as he drives and I see him grip the wheel a little tighter and his jaw locking tighter, grinding his teeth together every time one of the girls in the back squeal too loudly or excitedly. His face is tight with the pure grimace of a man counting the moments until his passengers vacate his car and I keep tucking my lips in as I watch him out the corner of my eye, trying not to laugh. He hasn't engaged in conversation the whole drive so far, and I pretend that he's solely concentrating on the road.

In all honesty when the girls had suggested asking Tom to drive us, I had expected him to say no. Even in front of them all, I had seen that flicker of annoyance in his eyes before he'd calmly and suavely said that he'd take us. I knew he didn't want to of course, he wanted us to be alone for three weeks but I was excited about spending tonight with my friends. A good party was needed after the shit Umbridge had put us all through as well as all this pressure from talking about careers and the future so much.

"Ah this is gonna be so much fun! Draco said there's a lake not far, a pool and a games room, there's also meant to be like a movie room!" Pansy squeals excitedly and I grin at her. It sounded an awesome house and the exact type of place where the boys would spend the holidays.

I turn in my seat, crossing my legs a little and then moving them back down a little as I see Tom's eyes dart down at my foot slightly touching the seat with a disapproving look, so I move just my upper body and stick my feet back on the floor.

"Are you all staying up here for the whole of easter then?" I ask. In all honesty, as excited as I was for my three weeks with Tom, three weeks partying and hanging out with my friends sounded good too and I try not to sound too invested in the answer.

"Oh we're just staying for the weekend, our mother wants us home next week for Easter for at least a week or so. But Astoria is going to meet up with Draco later in the holidays." Daphne says in a slightly huffy tone and I can tell she'd rather spend all her time with her friends than go home. I nod and look at Daphne who also had a similar expression of being a little bummed about travelling home whilst her friends were having fun.

"I'm surprised that Draco and Mattheo aren't going home though? They're staying up here for the whole of Easter?" I say turning to Tom. I know he'd said that Narcissa had asked him to come home for Easter weekend but he had declined and chosen other days to come back.

"No. They're going home for Easter weekend." Tom says sharply.

"Oh, and you're not?" Pansy asks curiously and I turn my head to look at him as he intakes breath. He turns his head, looking slightly at Pansy in the mirror and then at me and his smile is small but he shakes his head.

"No, I'm only popping home for a couple of days but not for Easter."

After he answers, Pansy nods and a slightly awkward silence follows for a few seconds before I turn my head around to look at her.