Chapter 35: Careers Week

The next day came and with it your transfiguration test. You liked being in Mcgonagal's class, she was stern but fair and her subject was fascinating. It still surprised you that you could turn an object into an animal with just the flick of your wand.

Mcgonagal watched you with a close look as you approach the array of objects on the table. You could choose from a goblet, a thimble, a book a few other small objects or even a chair. You look at them and a part of you wanted to pick the safe, comfortable option of transforming a teacup into a tortoise again. But you hd more confidence in your abilities than that now. You didn't want a good grade, you wanted the best grade. You felt so confident in your abilities now. Especially after what happened in the forest, you felt stronger than ever and more confident.

You reach forward and grab the thimble and place it on the ground and look up to a rather curious look on Mcgonagal's face. Out of all the spells you'd learned in transfiguration this year this was one of the hardest.

She raises a questioning eyebrow at you, clearly knowing exactly what you were about to try as your practical. You spin and crack your wrist and point your wand back down at the thimble. You focus your mind on imagining a large thestral. You say the incantation and when you open your eyes you grin at the creature in front of you and then at Mcgonagal who looks impressed.

"Well done miss Y/L/N." Her Scottish voice says in a tone that has a hint of surprise and even a little pride you think.

You'd always been good at transfiguration but every now and again you doubted your abilities but it was such a good feeling to see yourself perform well in test conditions. Your confidence had grown so much in this past year and you knew part of it was down to Tom. When your test paper floats its way back to you, you grin as you see an 'O' in emerald green ink.

Only one other student attempts the thimble to thestral transformation spell, Hermione Granger.

-

When the day comes to an end you find yourself waiting for Pansy and Astoria outside the library. You'd noticed that now that you all had boyfriends, finding time to hang out together or even study together was becoming harder. As you stand there waiting for them you feel a large hand clap you on the shoulder.

"There you are. I've been looking for you!"

"Pucey?" You say to Adrian in greeting and he nods and smiles.

"Can I have a quick word with you?" He says with a big grin. "It's about these speed trials and a couple other things."

"Oh? What about them?"

"Hooch has heard there's scouts coming and to the next couple of matches per house. Even setting up dates to attend next years matches too. I need you to shine!"

You laugh at him.

"Well I'll do my best but I'm not going to get scouted. I'm too young for a start!"

"You never know. I got approached in fifth year and look at me, off to training camps this summer." He says with a wicked grin that tells you how proud he is of the achievement.

"Well I love quidditch but it's not really what I want to do with my life, I don't think, so I doubt even if they did scout me, I'd do it." You say slowly to him and Adrian's head pulls back and a look of anger crosses his face.

"Then that's a real waste of your talents." He says to you curtly in an annoyed way and you look up at him and frown.

"Excuse me?"