Chapter 26: Toms' Birthday

You stare up at your boyfriend's mothers face, completely unable to find words, your cheeks so on fire that you hope the heat will consume you and you'll perish right here, right now and not have to live with this embarrassment another moment longer.

She looks at you with the most unimpressed look that makes you even more nervous. You'd spoken to her numerous times over the years but right now you know there is no way you can find words to speak to her. All you can do is smile awkwardly at her. You want to sit up and speak to her but you can't. You simply can't. You slide back a bit leaning against the headboard.

She stares at you for a few more seconds before she moves her eyes and looks beyond you at a shirtless Tom, who is facing the other way. You wait for her to address you at all but she doesn't and it is so clear she recognises you. She clears her throat.

"Thomas." She says sternly and your eyes dart to the side to see if Tom moves.

At the sound of her voice he immediately rolls over and sits up, and for once, Tom Riddle has no words, no response, he simply just stares at her and for the first time you've seen actual fear on his face. You can feel your heartbeat in your ears and you pray that you're not about to be involved in a massive argument.

"I did wonder why you weren't downstairs on time... get dressed both of you and come down for breakfast."

She turns and heads for the door and she disappears behind it before stopping and stepping back into view and you both look at her and you feel nervous again in case she's about to say something to you about leaving.

"Oh...yes... Happy Birthday Thomas." She says sharply and she leaves. Just before she disappears properly, you see a slight twitch of a smirk on the corner of her red lipsticked lips.

Tom groans and throws himself back against the pillow, the crook of his elbow over his eyes as he exhales loudly. You look at him, hoping he was going to comfort you in this mortifying moment.

"Is she really angry or is she... okay with this? I couldn't really tell..." You say nervously.

It was true, Narcissa had one of the best poker faces you had ever seen. You couldn't tell if she was annoyed that Tom had a girl in the house (and in his bed) without her knowledge or if she was truly just annoyed because he hadn't turned up to breakfast on the morning of his birthday. You'd seen her handle Mattheo's mood tantrums when he was younger with nothing but a polite smile and a tilted head and quiet words to him before turning around and playing hostess of the party again with elegance. You'd never heard the boys talk about her being angry.

"I don't know... I'm in trouble, I know that...she was silent, that means she's not happy with me." He says to you with a smug grin and you roll your eyes at how calm he seems to be as he gets up and looks for clothes.

His words hang in the air whilst you start to get ready and they make you smile a little as it seemed you were his first girlfriend after all. It was something you had wondered about but didn't want to ask Tom such an uncomfortable question. He sees your hesitancy and comes over to you, his hands on your waist and he kisses your forehead.

"Don't worry, love. She won't bite. If she's mad, she'll be mad at me, not you. She's never rude to or in front of guests and you being here, is my fault, not yours."

You smile and nod at him as you take in his words. You turn your head and look at your cat, still snoozing on top of his castle cat tower and a part of you wonders if Tom will get told off for having a cat here too. You had no idea how long Narcissa had been standing there when you'd woken up and you knew how observant she was, and even if she wasn't, there was no way she wouldn't have noticed the gigantic cat castle or its orange occupant.