Chapter 15: Your birthday

The next week passed without anything of much interest happening, other than t he fact that you and Tom had gotten even more obsessed with each other, finding more little moments to spend time together throughout the day as well as in the evenings around his larger amount of homework.

You'd even taken to sitting with him whilst he studied and you would sit and read or draw in the hideout room, just keeping him company.

The morning of your sixteenth birthday came and with it, a dramatic awakening when all of your girl friends burst into your room singing happy birthday song to you. You wake up immediately and open their presents to you and they start planning the small party you and your friends were going to hold on Friday after school in honour of your birthday, before heading down to breakfast.

When the post comes, more birthday cards appear for you, many of them containing gift vouchers which made you excited to head out to Hogsmeade at the weekend. You received a text to let you know that your family would be coming later on to visit you in the late afternoon, early evening to take you out for a birthday dinner.

Tom had texted you 'happy birthday beautiful, I love you' which had made you giddy and happy all morning but you hadn't managed to see him at breakfast, or at all that morning. You kept reopening the text and looking at it throughout the morning.

He'd asked what time you were free later on in the day and you told him when your family were coming to see you, so you weren't sure how long you were going to be out this evening, so you might not see him until bedtime.

Lunch comes and goes and soon it's time for afternoon lessons. You're sat reading your DaDA textbook copying out notes in pure silence when a brief knock comes at the classroom door and you and the rest of your class whip round to see who it is. Your eyes widen when you see him, the last person you expect to be interrupting your class.

"Excuse me Professor, Could I please borrow Miss Y/L/N?" Toms' silken polite voice spoke and Umbridge turns her head to look at you, she sniffs in an annoyed way at being interrupted but waves at you to go.

Mattheo and your other friends look at you and a few whispered oohs go round the classroom. People wondering why the Head Boy had come to take you out of class. You weren't a troublesome student so being called out of class raised a few eyebrows. There were only two reasons a student got taken out of class, either you were in trouble or something bad had happened. You shove your things into your bag and leave the classroom following Tom.

"What's going on?" You say worriedly, wondering why Tom had come to get you. Usually if a Head Boy came into a classroom to collect a student, they were taking you to the Headmasters office.

"Am I... am I in trouble?" You ask nervously.

"Of course you're not...well, not today, anyway." Tom smirks at you and you sigh with relief and raise a questioning eyebrow.

"Oh...oh right. Are my family here already then?" You ask Tom wondering if perhaps they'd arrived early and asked for you.

You were looking forward to seeing them, even more so if it meant getting the afternoon off school and avoiding a lesson with Umbridge and then potions with Snape. Your family secretly giving you one extra birthday present of an afternoon free of your least favourite teachers.

"No they're not here yet. They're coming for you at 4pm you said?" Tom says and you turn a corner and you realise you're not heading to the front of the school or the Headmaster's office like you had expected. You were heading back towards the dungeons. Maybe the common room?

"Yeah that's what they told me. So if they're not here, why have you come to get me?" You ask puzzled.

You couldn't think of any other reason why the Head Boy would come to get you out of class. Even if he was your boyfriend, your brain still saw Tom as a person of some authority in the school. For the past two years he'd been a Prefect and now was Head Boy, so you were used to him telling you what to do and seeing him move about the school performing his duties.