Lady Rose (29 November 1921)

Start from the beginning

A slight furrow appeared on Mrs. Hughes' brow as she pondered the situation. "Ah, I see," she murmured finally, "So you're looking to secure a position for your daughter here in the house?"

Thomas vigorously shook his head. "No, Mrs. Hughes. I'm hoping for a different solution. Emma is bright, and I don't want her to drop out of school. She could achieve so much if she receives the right education."

A hint of understanding gleamed in the housekeeper's eyes as she listened to the young man's concerns. "So you're suggesting that I speak with Mr. Carson?" she concluded.

Thomas nodded, "Yes, exactly. I would be very grateful if you could do that. Mr. Carson listens to you, and perhaps you can convince him that Emma needs her own room."

A smile flickered across Mrs. Hughes' lips as she looked at Thomas. "I'll see what can be arranged."

Thomas sighed with relief and thanked the housekeeper before leaving the room.

In the evening, Emma sat in the servants' hall of Downton Abbey, pretending as if her excursion hadn't happened. The bustle of the servants' dinner had passed, and a quiet atmosphere settled in. The last remnants of food were cleared away, and for a moment, there was a small pause where the servants could enjoy some leisure time.

Emma let her gaze wander around the room until it landed on Mrs. O'Brien. The older woman sat at a table, diligently writing letters. Emma couldn't understand why Mrs. O'Brien was writing so many letters. Lately, she seemed to be receiving an unusually large amount, piquing Emma's curiosity.

Carefully, Emma leaned towards her father, who sat beside her. She lowered her voice to a whisper, cupping her hand beside her mouth to prevent her words from being heard across the table. "Do you think she could have a lover?" Emma asked quietly, directly into her father's ear.

Thomas raised an eyebrow in surprise and looked at his daughter incredulously. "Never," he replied with a soft laugh. "No one would willingly be with a porcupine."

Emma chuckled softly as Thomas redirected his attention to her homework spread out on the table before them. "You haven't accomplished much," remarked Thomas as he observed the many unfinished tasks. What he didn't know was that these were mainly the assignments covered in today's class, which Ruby brought by since Emma skipped school without permission.

Emma tensed as she contemplated. It was the perfect moment to get her father's signature.

"Dad, can you write your name with your eyes closed?"

Thomas frowned, but he played along. "I suppose so, why not?"

"Show me," Emma demanded. Thomas reached for a piece of paper and a pen.

"Eyes closed," the girl urged. Thomas closed his eyes, and Emma quickly swapped out the paper.

"First and last name!" And so, a scribbly 'Thomas Barrow' emerged beneath her self-written sick note. All Emma had to do was write the name on the blank paper before her father became suspicious. But just as she was about to begin, Thomas opened his eyes and swiftly took the signed document from her.

"My daughter Emma Grace Barrow is sick," he read aloud. "Therefore, she couldn't attend classes on November 29, 1921, and will continue to miss school for another two weeks due to illness." An amused smile played on his face as he placed the note back on the table.

"My poor child," he said with exaggerated concern, placing his hand on Emma's forehead. "You don't have a fever," he noted, "I guess we need to see Doctor Clarkson." Then he pulled her onto his lap, wrapping his arms around his seriously ill child.